British Comedy Guide

Chickens - Series 1

Not too far away now. Seems so long ago when I saw the Pilot that I can hardly remember the plot! I'm looking forward to the full series.

A brand new teaser trailer has today been released: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/chickens/videos/5844/chickens_meet_the_chickens/

Can't believe the pilot episode was on in 2010!

Looking forward to this as the pilot ep certainly had some promise.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to this.

Quote: Ben @ August 9 2013, 8:22 PM BST

Can't believe the pilot episode was on in 2010!

Neither can I! (Because it wasn't!)

Quote: radiat10n @ August 9 2013, 11:45 PM BST

Neither can I! (Because it wasn't!)

Yes, it was on in 2011

I really enjoyed this tonight, I found it very funny and entertaining.

I havn't seen the pilot, but tonight's had some good parts. Loved the graffiti on the house.

A first episode of setting up the premise and characters. The one who really just wants to be liked, the cuckold and the eccentric self-styled ladies man with no clue of anything that doesn't affect him.

Hope they don't overwork the "Bert doesn't know there's a war on" joke. They've set it up, now be sparing with it otherwise it's going to get really thin, really quickly.

Quote: AndyGilder @ August 23 2013, 1:23 PM BST

Hope they don't overwork the "Bert doesn't know there's a war on" joke.

Yes I agree with you on that one. I thought it was a superb opening episode though, I really enjoyed it!
:D

One suspects it only saw the light of day due to its Inbetweeners connections?

Watched this last night and thought it was a decent opener. Not packed full of laughs, but I did snigger a few times. Bert easily had the best lines. Simon Bird and Joe Thomas do, however, come across as pale imitations of their Inbetweeners characters.

Must admit I was only half watching this while doing other things but what I did see I enjoyed, there were good some character setting pieces and the acting was spot on, I loved the 'sex arrangement' exchange between Bert and Agnes.
Not the normal type of sitcom I'd go for as I don't tend to like 'japery' type of comedy that much but this was pretty enjoyable.

I don't know, maybe I was in a grump when I watched it. I wanted to like it, it sounded like a fun idea but I found it flat and dull. I know the writers are young and starting out, and it did feel a bit unformed and lacking in finesse generally. I also felt like it was overfull of that smarminess you seem to get a lot of these days - I'm not very eloquent today, but I mean that much of the dialogue is just one character smarmily attacking another in what's possibly meant to be a good humoured way but just comes out as nastiness to me. The dialogue made no considered attempt to be early twentieth century, which some might think was a good thing, but then maybe it also missed a trick in using archaic wordiness for funnies. (I think 'Up the Women' did a decent job of that at times.) It felt like something that needed a few more drafts and a lot more work to make it funny.

I thought the cottage graffiti was a bit overdone. Less might have been funnier. Maybe. What do I know? Anyway, I'll likely not get round to seeing much more of it anyway as it's on Sky and I can only see that as someone else's house or if I make an effort to hunt for it on Catchup, so all those of you who found merit in it will have no more of my complaining to suffer.

I was a little cautious/full of trepidation when I came to watch this. The C4 pilot hadn't exactly thrilled me but, then again, that's what pilots are for - eastablishing the 'sit' and style of 'com', showcasing the talent and hinting at future potential. (There's a reason pilots, traditionally, were not aired in the dim, distant past. They are usually 'work in progress', often hastily assembled. But that's another topic entirely.)

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

First of all, Jonny Sweet (as Bert) is the stand-out character and actor, responsible for the majority of (this viewer's, anyway) laughs. Bird and Thomas are strong, however. And the ensemble cast is nice - always good to see Emma Fryer - a genuine talent. Sweet bestrides the first episode as the epicentre of the humour. Destined for great things this chap...

And the humour, though sometimes strained in the writing, is pretty good. The plot is thrown together and very loose - but this kind of sitcom is not about forensic plotting. It's a silly, fun piece and actually creates its cosy, identifiable sitcom bubble with great ease.

I feel (only a little bit, if I'm honest) sorry for Bird & Thomas, being lumbered with 'The Inbetweeners' comparisons in all their other work. They're talented comedy performers and do some very nice things in this. I've actually met Simon Bird & he's a nice, shy, humble guy, who really does care about getting the comedy right. Kudos to him for trying something different.

I hope the premise can sustain at least 6 episodes of laughs. Amongst the silliness and costumes and war reference gags there were a few subtle lines and some original comedy here. I'll be watching the rest of the series with interest.

A pretty decent start then. Potentially a 'grower'.

Only half watched this, but there seemed a really quite jarring mismatch between the authentic period detail of sets and costumes and the twenty first century language and sensibilities of the script.

It is worth contrasting with Blackadder Goes Forth, which required more suspension of reality in terms of production values, but which had characters who for all their absurdity felt believably of their time. Both more silly and more real.