British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,307

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th September 2024, 8:46 PM

Thatcher & Reagan: A Very Special Relationship on BBC4.

A reminder of when politicians on both sides of the Atlantic were proper heavyweights and respected around the World. Not the pygmies and laughing stock of today.

"Ronald Reagan? The ACTOR?!" - Doc Brown

The Siege of Sidney Street, 1960 film based - no doubt loosely - on the famous (or should I say infamous) 1911 siege, controversially attended by Home Secretary Winston Churchill.

The cast includes not only Donald Sinden & Peter Wyngarde (Jason King) but also, interestingly, Alan Simpson (as in Galton and...) and Leonard Sachs, the grandiloquent, not to say circumlocutory, chairman of The Good Old Days

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th September 2024, 11:34 AM

[i] circumlocutory

Thank you... I graduated in Latin in 1996 and this is the first time it's proved useful. I'm happy that my youth was not entirely wasted.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th September 2024, 12:29 PM

Thank you... I graduated in Latin in 1996 and this is the first time it's proved useful. I'm happy that my youth was not entirely wasted.

Yes, you have no idea of the number of people that have remarked how worthless their life would have been if it wasn't for me.

Latin, ffs...
Charlie Chaplin said, 'A day without laughter is a wasted day.' And he was right. That's why I never watch Charlie f**king Chaplin.

🤣🤣🤣

Meant to post this earlier, but a couple of weeks ago the Beeb broadcast a small selection of Saturday night entertainment from the late 80s early 90s and I have to say, what the hell did I see in them the first-time round?!??

Blankety Blank with Lily Savage - awful set and "jokes"

Bob's Full House - big fan of Mr Monkhouse, but this was rubbish

Noel's House Party - how the hell did I think that was funny at the time, and to make matters worse, Bob Monkhouse came on in only boxer shorts, but was clearly wearing tights!!

Dear oh dear - what a load of crap, all of them!!

Yep dreadful

Still 1000 times better than the absolute shite we get these days

Bob Monkhouse had more wit in his right bollock than Ant and friggin Dec will ever have in a million years

I loved Lily's Blankety Blank, and Noel's House Party. I loved seeing them again! I was amazed they chose to show an ep without Mr Blobby, though.

But so dated! I don't think they have travelled well at all - Noel's House Party for example is seriously corny! But then as has been said present Saturday night TV is awful. I liked Paul O'Grady, as his chat show was very good and my wife loved his Battersea Dog Home prog., and Lily Savage I could take in small doses, but giving him Blankety Blank just didn't work for me - bland, with rattling of jokes at such a speed you couldn't understand what he was saying that weren't funny anyway.

I found him really funny on it. And Terry Wogan. I wish they'd repeat them all. Just let me live in the past please! 95% of current telly is rubbish.

Les Dawson was the king of Blankety Blank

Quote: zooo @ 13th September 2024, 11:23 PM

Just let me live in the past please! 95% of current telly is rubbish.

Only 95%?

If you like dating shows, you are set.
Especially if you want to see cocks and fannies all over the place.

If I watched a dating show I would cringe myself inside out. Unbearable.
I don't hate all reality/trashy shows, but I certainly do not need to see random willies and tuppences flapping about. (Seeing that clip yesterday on Gogglebox was quite enough.)