British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,294

My mum recently introduced me to the wonders of Monk. Very funny and good to see Ted Levine in a less horrifying role as the long suffering police captain. No mistaking those deep tones.

Everything's reminding me of this at the moment:

https://youtu.be/imr8WKuqFZo?si=B5ampkdR_Bv6OI9a

:D I always think of that scene whenever I hear the word 'Monk'. That made me google another favourite where Billy Bleach sings Billy Don't Be A Hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQhTE4nSXQ&ab_channel=comedyklips

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 2nd April 2024, 7:40 AM

:D I always think of that scene whenever I hear the word 'Monk'. That made me google another favourite where Billy Bleach sings Billy Don't Be A Hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQhTE4nSXQ&ab_channel=comedyklips

I love that sketch - me and my mum (whom I don't still live with, honest!) used to quote the line "someone's going to remix that one day and ruin it."

Simon Day is so the epitome of all sauf Landan blokes. I'm re-reading his autobiography and he's local to here - well, much posher, so Blackheath.

https://youtu.be/QLXllOYuEcg?si=D6kGGmFYC10sOl2u

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th March 2024, 12:45 PM

As I've now watched every episode of every decent British sitcom ever made about a thousand times, I'm now reduced to barrel scraping to find something to watch

Today :

Phone Shop

Verdict:

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Today: The Book Group

Verdict: Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes, I agree that 'The Book Group' was very mehhhhhh. I think that I bailed out after two or so episodes.

Surgeons: At the Edge of Life.

It's hard to watch because they don't skim over the gory bits.
And I mean really nasty conditions and operations.

One poor fella had cancer in his eye and skull bones.
He was very stoic about it and said just before the operation - I'll take one last look around with my right eye before they take it out.
Take it out?? They removed the eye ball and half the skull around it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th April 2024, 7:50 AM

He was very stoic about it and said just before the operation - I'll take one last look around with my right eye before they take it out.

Oh wow! What a tribute to the skill of the surgeons though? Someone I was in a choir with's husband had a similar thing but sadly he passed away the very same day his wife did.

Re: TV. I've got a bad cold/chest infection so I'm watching absolute crap as a result. I've viewed loads of TOWIE and related spin offs. Chewing gum for the brain.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th April 2024, 7:50 AM

I can't watch anything like that. Not the surgery. That's not the problem, it's anything to do with blindness, which I think is the worse thing anyone could have - yes, even worse than cancer. I'd rather be dead than blind, and my mind set has been this way for a number of years, since I was diagnosed with Glaucoma about 30 years ago.

Having now had five eye operations and now (thankfully!) having sight in only one eye (one is very bad), you can't help wondering and take every precaution to protect your good eye. I've been as happy go lucky as the next person not wearing eye protection over the years, but now shudder when I see people using hand tools with no goggles on.

And what amazes me is the blind people who take it all in their stride. OK, (maybe!!) if you were born blind, you know no different, but with someone like, say Chris McCausland, it amazes me he remains so cheerful, having lost his sight in his late teen years.

No, I wouldn't want to go on, and just before the final big eye operation I had I put aside a large packet of codeine and a bottle of vodka so I could commit suicide - yes, I feel that strongly about it, as I remember how it became too much for the policeman David Rathband, when that lump of shit Raoul Moat shot him in the face, leaving him totally blind. Imagine that, not only instantly losing your sight, but that scum's face was the last thing you saw.

David Rathband, was feted wherever he went and tried to put on a brave face, but in the end, he committed suicide, and I'm not surprised. I sincerely hope now, he has found peace.

Yes, when your sight is threatened, you take a totally stance, and to this day I regularly support charities such as Blind Veterans UK, formerly St Dunstans.
Sorry to go on so long, but I feel so strongly about the subject.

Carry on watching TV 😊 Some can't 😢

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st April 2024, 8:26 PM

My mum recently introduced me to the wonders of Monk. Very funny and good to see Ted Levine in a less horrifying role as the long suffering police captain. No mistaking those deep tones.

I loved Monk. Fantastic old-school detective show, and managed to survive a major cast member leaving and being replaced.

Just finished Ripley (Netflix).
Shot in breathtaking B&W, I'm not sure you'll see a more masterfully directed bit of TV this year.
Shades of Orson Wells & Fellini throughout.
Andrew Scott on top of his game, too.

Sliced ....

Ffs

😐😐😐

Spaced

Max and Paddy

Yep, it is as crap as I'd remembered...