British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,280

Ghosts - series 1 episode 1

*yawn*

Didn't laugh once...

Thanks for that - I've never watched it, and wondered if I was missing out.

Given me a number of extra hours in my life to do other things that matter.

Seems pretty popular but I just never fancied it

Decent cast , but as is the way these days - zero laughs

Hay ho!

It's the best sitcom on TV. Give it a go Herc.

Ummmm, I'll see - if there's nothing else on'telly I'm following. Just started watching "Soldiers", which is quite interesting, and have a couple of TPTV films to watch.
Trouble is, I see it has been running for 5 series (!) now, and I'd feel a bit late at the party not knowing what the back stories are.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th October 2023, 8:46 AM

Ummmm, I'll see - if there's nothing else on'telly I'm following. Just started watching "Soldiers", which is quite interesting, and have a couple of TPTV films to watch.
Trouble is, I see it has been running for 5 series (!) now, and I'd feel a bit late at the party not knowing what the back stories are.

Really there's not much of a continuation story. You can just watch any episode. All you need to know is that she is the only one who can see all the ghosts but her husband can't.

Emo Philips "that was one of the best exploding toilet acts, I've ever seen"

🤣

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_QKkAFoo9I&pp=ygUUZnJpZGF5IG5pZ2h0IGxpdmUgdWs%3D

I remember that 'Del Boy' Abbey National advert at 20m37sec like it was yesterday...

Steve Coogan playing Saville. Did he get a-haaaard on?

New Rick and Morty

Ha! Just started watching that myself, for the first time ever - I wish I knew a bit more to the background of the characters and how they came together.

I think it was a Back To The Future parody

Doc and Marty = Rick and Morty

Quote: lofthouse @ 21st October 2023, 10:38 AM

Never heard of it. American?

Doc and Marty

Rick and Morty

Mork and Mindy.

Just thought I'd join in.

Ah, got yer - Ta! 🙂

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th October 2023, 9:30 AM

The Reckoning - Coogan's Jimmy Savile thing.
A bit shit, to be honest.
The prosthetics are a thoroughly ham-fisted (they looked good in the stills, but once his mouth starts moving..)
I also kept seeing flashes of Stan Laurel - which as a lover of L&H was most disturbing
The period 'feel' is pretty thin (watch The Long Shadow to see how it's done).
And it was written in crayon.
I'm not even convinced Coogan can act.
But, apart from that...I'll probably finish it - more as a reminder of what a c**t the man was.
But it's not good drama.

Have only caught Ep3/4 which has annoyed me greatly because I wanted to see what they made of this. But no, the BBC who are broadcasting it but refused to make it, now seemingly don't even want to show it. There were reports they were so nervous of the response they thought about pulling out of the deal to broadcast it, then delayed the screening to apparently edit it down and now evidently don't want many people to see it, as I still haven't seen a single promotion ad for it, hence why I missed the first two eps.

I'll catch up on their iplayer where I see they've tried to hide it behind others but thought bits were good, like the response of some who knew what he was, but the narrative was jumpy and discursive, the build up to events was a bit cursory and most of all I thought Coogan was just Coogan with a funny wig on, he couldn't even lose the Mancs twang when trying to sound Leeds Yorkshire which is a very distinctive accent. He's very underplayed but I understand that's because prods didn't want a caricature of him which would have made it like a comedy, but Savile was a caricature of himself, a much bigger character in public than Coogan's version.