British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,279

Quote: fasty @ 10th October 2023, 4:00 AM

I think it was the lovely Anne Diamond who once said 'If the Superbowl is so important, why is it on in the middle of the night?'

Oooo, you're dicing with a dose of serious verbal abuse from the forum's Red Brigade mentioning her name on here, as she is one of the weekend presenters on GBNews.

(I like her, by the way - sneaks away before I get torn to pieces too 😥)

The Reckoning - Coogan's Jimmy Savile thing.
A bit shit, to be honest.
The prosthetics are a thoroughly ham-fisted (they looked good in the stills, but once his mouth starts moving..)
I also kept seeing flashes of Stan Laurel - which as a lover of L&H was most disturbing
The period 'feel' is pretty thin (watch The Long Shadow to see how it's done).
And it was written in crayon.
I'm not even convinced Coogan can act.
But, apart from that...I'll probably finish it - more as a reminder of what a c**t the man was.
But it's not good drama.

All that, and not sure if I can face another 3 episodes, as his face make-up seems to change each scene, and am I really bothered..........

That's cos you're geezers. My wife watched it in horror.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th October 2023, 10:35 AM

That's cos you're geezers. My wife watched it in horror.

Not sure that's true.
My wife found it unconvincing.
I just thought it wasn't particularly well executed.
The Long Shadow, on the other hand, scared the bejeesus out of her (and me).

Can't be arsed. We all know what a c**t he was and I don't know how dragging myself through it now is gonna change anything. Plus the Beeb denouncing Jimmy Saville is like Hitler joining Rock Against Racism.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th October 2023, 9:30 AM

thoroughly ham-fisted.

He f**ked pigs too?

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th October 2023, 9:30 AM

The Reckoning -

But, apart from that...I'll probably finish it - more as a reminder of what a c**t the man was.

Coogan? I wouldn't go that far.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th October 2023, 2:32 PM

🤣

Quote: Chappers @ 10th October 2023, 2:32 PM

😂
I think he wrote a song about that...

Watching Bergerac. To me it doesn't seem long ago but amazed to see a young Jeff Rawle. The first thing I really remember him from was Drop the Dead Donkey and surprised to realise that he was actually young once.

Also Celia Imrie who was as sexy then as she is now.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th October 2023, 4:30 PM

To me it doesn't seem long ago but amazed to see a young Jeff Rawle. The first thing I really remember him from was Drop the Dead Donkey and surprised to realise that he was actually young once.

I'll always remember him for "Billy Liar"

I finished The Long Shadow yesterday and yes, it was excellent.
Especially as it all happened in my area.
The 'I'm Jack' tape was played everywhere you went.

I was stopped by the police several times in my car at 2:00 am by roadblocks and they always searched the boot.
One time I had left my toolbox in there and when they saw my hammer, the mood changed dramatically.
They were being pleasant - even slightly apologetic up to that point but then 'why do you have a big hammer in your toolbox?
'For work.
'What do you do?
'Electrician
'What does an electrician need a great big hammer for?
'For braying big holes in walls.
(police) 'and maybe for braying women on the head.

At that time it was not known by the public that he used a hammer - just conjecture.
But that confirmed it.

You'd have been fine.
You didn't have a Geordie accent (!)

I remember the time so well.
Every male between 20 and 40 was under suspicion.
They used to say on TV such things as 'do you know someone who has access to tools and probably works away from home for short periods?
Well yes, me.
The Yorkshire mob used to work on exhibitions at the NEC and the London mob openly said 'it could be one of you lot.
But Sutcliffe killed another while we were at the Birmingham NEC and genuine suspicion was dropped.

I've recently started watching Madmen and got hooked. Lots of glamourous women.