British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,272

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th July 2023, 8:19 AM

I record every episode of Fred Dibnah I see listed hoping to capture something not available on DVD that I can burn to my own copy. I need to go through them because there's a few duplicate episodes to delete and I need the disk space. The footage of him climbing a chimney and single handily erecting a platform never ceases to amaze me. Not many people could do what he did. He would have a few pints before going up on demolition jobs and there was no toilet up there of course so.....

Have posted this previous on another thread, but well worth a repeat - I mean, how the hell do you start with a scaffold arrangement like that. 🤔

AND where's the bloody handrails!!

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th July 2023, 9:53 AM

My mum and dad used to live across the road from him!

Did they say anything about the clanking at night? 😁

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th July 2023, 9:55 AM

Have posted this previous on another thread, but well worth a repeat - I mean, how the hell do you start with a scaffold arrangement like that. 🤔

AND where's the bloody handrails!!

Did they say anything about the clanking at night? 😁

"Did yer like that?"

"No, it's 4 o'clock in the sodding morning you noisy little pillock"

Alan Partridge- Alpha Pappa

The Sixth Commandment. It's a bit predictable but has a great cast. Timothy Spall, Sheila Hancock, Ann Reid amongst others.

Robocop

For the very first time

What a stoooooopid pile of poo

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th July 2023, 10:59 PM

Robocop

For the very first time

What a stoooooopid pile of poo

How very dare you, it's a classic.
You should have watched it when you were 11 like I did, you would have shit yourself/loved it then.

Definitely!

It's still great.

I watched it yesterday too. It has just the same vibe as Total Recall. (Which makes sense as it's by the same guy.)

Total Recall is by far the best film

I saw Robocop on pirate video before it was released in cinemas. The documentary Flesh & Steel is worth a watch and is on youtube and disk one of the box set.

So many great one liners in that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOEamL8-Jo&ab_channel=xzlate

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th July 2023, 10:38 AM

"Did yer like that?"

Also said by Guy Martin when he helped blow up (down?) Eggborough power station in his great British Power Trip series. I like to think it was a respectful nod to Fred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CAsWDGt5n8

I think so too.
I watched them blow up/down some cooling towers just outside Halifax.
Video doesn't capture the deep boom and shockwave that hits you.

Cooling Towers always had an air of mysticism to them like they had been lowered in to place by an alien spaceship.

I wonder what Fred would be doing now if he were still alive. I like to think his popularity would have reached new heights in the late 2000s and he was inundated with offers of television work.

I still get angry thinking about all those scumbags that trespassed on his property after he died to steal something from the yard to sell or keep as a memento. It became so frequent his widow had to have everything put in to storage and caused a very upsetting and stressful time for her. I think someone even stole the nameplate from one of his beloved engines.

I was on stand-by in the sub-station at Willington Power Station just south of Derby when they blew up the station buildings. That was a hell of a whump! and the dust cloud was staggering. The cooling towers remain (for now) as they've had peregrine falcons nesting on them. Nice thread about them on the 28 Days Later urban explorers website.

They're a nice 'nearly home' landmark when I've been out for the day on the motorbike :)