British Comedy Guide

Derek - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Andicus @ February 1 2013, 4:54 PM GMT

Joe Wilkinson?

Ah! Yes, it could very well be his role as Dan in Him & Her.

Quote: zooo @ February 1 2013, 4:33 PM GMT

Innnteresting...

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/297381382517301248

"Kev's there for a very good reason" - is it because the Channel 4 told him to go and rewrite it with some jokes in? Whistling nnocently

I wanted to like this: a really great, sympathetic Gervais performance of someone with autism/learning difficulties/whatever would have been wonderful, as would a genuinely moving comedy about old people, who get short shrift in society, and even less on TV. But, they completely fumbled it. It's not a sentimental, warm comedy, it's a sickly birthday card with clumsy sitcom elements grafted on desperately and all too infrequently, and a mixture of bad performances, and decent performers with nothing to perform.

It's still better than Life's Too Short, mind...

"Kev's there for a very good reason" - George Lucas used to say the same thing about Jar Jar Binks.

Unfunny, poorly acted, Gervais' acting especially non-existent as is any quality in the script. Otherwise good :)

Please make it stop!

There's a button on the remote for that.

Quote: zooo @ February 1 2013, 11:06 PM GMT

There's a button on the remote for that.

Stop with your logic!

It's different to Ricky Gervais' usual humour. Maybe because Stephen Merchant isn't involved?

Have to admit I found the first episode a bit boring. It wasn't very funny and I knew the home wouldn't be closed down because it was only the first episode.

Quote: Team Film It @ February 2 2013, 2:02 AM GMT

I knew the home wouldn't be closed down because it was only the first episode.

I didn't even think about that, that's spot on though. Surely a plot like that should be a series finale to generate any dramatic tension whatsoever?

Quote: Vince Ives @ February 2 2013, 10:31 AM GMT

I didn't even think about that, that's spot on though. Surely a plot like that should be a series finale to generate any dramatic tension whatsoever?

Perhaps that will now run through the show, though; funding taken away, and they now struggle to keep it open.

I think the clanger moment was when Kerry said "rehoming the residents"

It's a small line, but it just shows not even the most basic interest or research into how care homes work.
You rehome cats not people.

There was one funny moment when Derek had the newts in the bed pan. Worked on the situation, his character etc so yeh very funny.

Though why they added an alcoholic tramp is beyond me

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2013, 10:40 AM GMT

It's a small line, but it just shows not even the most basic interest or research into how care homes work.
You rehome cats not people.

I did notice a lot of comments on Twitter, from care home workers, who seemed to recognise and appreciate what they were seeing, so he must have got something right there at least.

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2013, 10:40 AM GMT

It's not a documentary though, it just has to make sense, which it did. We knew what she meant, and 99% of people wouldn't have had a problem with that word.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 2 2013, 10:45 AM GMT

I did notice a lot of comments on Twitter, from care home workers, who seemed to recognise and appreciate what they were seeing, so he must have got something right there at least.

Well it looks vaguely right and I suppose most of that goes to who ever recruited all those elderly actors. But the feel for how it worked was just too unbelievable.

What is the word for rehoming people anyway, I'm all curious now!