British Comedy Guide

Why does anyone need religion? Page 24

Quote: Pingl @ May 25 2013, 8:36 PM BST

Love and Peace Man

See? Hippy!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 8:44 PM BST

See? Hippy!

Hippy Hippy hooray. As Costello said whats so wrong with Peace Love and Understanding. If it aint the answer what is? :)

Quote: Pingl @ May 25 2013, 7:11 PM BST

Religion has caused more death and hate than anything in history

Not sure, not sure, in fact I wouldn't say so. It's caused a lot of hate especially, but the major life destroying world wars were not based on religion but race and territory. Also many ancient wars were nothing to do with religion but territory.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 25 2013, 11:46 AM BST

Faith.

Faith: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Faith-Healing-Churches-Linked-to-Two-Dozen-Child-Deaths-208745201.html

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 25 2013, 8:51 PM BST

Not sure, not sure, in fact I wouldn't say so. It's caused a lot of hate especially, but the major life destroying world wars were not based on religion but race and territory. Also many ancient wars were nothing to do with religion but territory.

True, but lets not forget, The Crusades, The Spanish Inquisition, The Jewish persecutions throughout history etc etc. War is human nature and has always been here, but religion is a very handy coat peg to hang its hat on. On the other hand art and culture would be immeasurably poorer without religion, as would learning and culture generally. Mankind is both angel and devil, we must harness the better angels of our nature, with or without religion I don't really care, just be kind to each other and search for a better kinder world.

Quote: Pingl @ May 25 2013, 8:57 PM BST

On the other hand art and culture would be immeasurably poorer without religion, as would learning and culture generally.

Hippy nonsense.

The reason so much art throughout history has been religious in nature is because artists need to eat and the churches had all the money.

If we follow your logic, Christian rock and The Five People You Meet In Heaven would be the absolute pinnacle of modern art.

And they're not. They're shit.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 8:52 PM BST

Faith: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Faith-Healing-Churches-Linked-to-Two-Dozen-Child-Deaths-208745201.html

Put a sock in it

Nob end

Quote: lofthouse @ May 25 2013, 9:15 PM BST

Nob end

Protect me zooo!

STEADY ON!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 9:11 PM BST

Hippy nonsense.

The reason so much art throughout history has been religious in nature is because artists need to eat and the churches had all the money.

If we follow your logic, Christian rock and The Five People You Meet In Heaven would be the absolute pinnacle of modern art.

And they're not. They're shit.

That is slightly discounting renaissance art and the passion behind its creation. I'm not saying it is essential but you cannot deny historical fact, without churches and their money that art would never have been commissioned. If you cannot see the power and mystery of the faith woven into classic religious art than you are missing out on a whole realm of art

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 9:17 PM BST

Protect me zooo!

You don't want to have a sensible debate

You just want to insult people

There's plenty of other posters who have stated they aren't religious and can't understand why people are etc - but they do it with respect and manners

So yeah - I'll join your level of debate

Your being a nob end

Quote: lofthouse @ May 25 2013, 9:25 PM BST

You don't want to have a sensible debate

There's plenty of other posters who have stated they aren't religious and can't understand why people are etc - but they do it with respect and manners

So yeah - I'll join your level of debate

Your being a nob end

If you were joining my level of debate you'd be responding to the substantive points I made too.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 25 2013, 9:25 PM BST

I don't. And I haven't.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 9:30 PM BST

I don't. And I haven't.

WTF do you call this??

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 8:18 PM BST

Wishy-washy hippy f**ks like Pingl are just as bad as Muslim extremists

Total crap

And if you had any decency you would apologize to Pingl for that remark

Anyway I'm not wasting anymore of my Saturday night talking to dickheads like you

Wave

Quote: lofthouse @ May 25 2013, 9:38 PM BST

WTF do you call this??

Total crap

And if you had any decency you would apologize to Pingl for that remark

Anyway I'm not wasting anymore of my Saturday night talking to dickheads like you

Wave

Since you clearly have nothing interesting to add to the debate, you won't be missed.

Quote: Pingl @ May 25 2013, 9:19 PM BST

If you cannot see the power and mystery of the faith woven into classic religious art than you are missing out on a whole realm of art

You probably know more about Renaissance art than me.

No doubt a shitload of that type of thing came from a place of true belief.

But I reckon if there had been an Arts Council and a National Lottery in ye olden tymes, there wouldn't have been nearly as much god-bothering in the arts.

When I think of religiously-inspired art nowadays, I tend to think of The Life of Brian or John Lennon's Imagine.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 25 2013, 9:55 PM BST

Since you clearly have nothing interesting to add to the debate, you won't be missed.

You probably know more about Renaissance art than me.

No doubt a shitload of that type of thing came from a place of true belief.

But I reckon if there had been an Arts Council and a National Lottery in ye olden tymes, there wouldn't have been nearly as much god-bothering in the arts.

When I think of religiously-inspired art nowadays, I tend to think of The Life of Brian or John Lennon's Imagine.

Life of Brian is a great work with a religious theme. I hate Imagine I don't like to be told to imagine I have no possessions by a multi millionaire. Its not so much the art as the passion within the art, art without passion is like sunshine without heat pale and lifeless. That light doesn't have to come from religion but much of it has. There is great passion in Van Gough with little if any religious content. Great art does not have to come from religion, it can come from madness, love, hate any strong emotion. But there is no denying it has in the past and that art changed the world