British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 14

Out of curiosity: any other Tudor Galleon comedies last year?

Andy: Yeah, loads, and they were all so much better than In The Meantime. Thanks for the bribe.

I knew those dubloons were worth it. Hopefully we've raised the bribe level for this year!

Quote: Declan @ November 6 2011, 4:16 PM GMT

Even if you think you're coming up with something totally original, we can bet that six other people are writing about it too (witness the zombie/apocalypse sitcoms we got sent last year).

And two of these now infamous apocalypse (one was definitely zombie-based) sitcoms got down to the last 32. Not the last 8 though, I can only assume the bribes weren't high enough.

Do threats of physical violence work as well as bribes?

Quote: richiemoomoo @ November 6 2011, 12:39 PM GMT

And are there any re-occuring characters that you are fed up with?

We get very fed up with the writer's mouthpiece character. The guy (it's always a man) who does the writer's stand up routine for him while the cipher characters stand around saying 'wow...really?...that's amazing' etc.

Also the stunning mute. The SM character is a badly written female character whose main function is to wear little and say less.

Not too keen on the office drone who talks in management speak either. It's been done to death.

The first trickle of scripts is just coming in. Will let you know if there are any trends this year.

I'm really struggling to think up some new ideas this year if I'm honest.

Would I get away with we re-submitting Doyle and Pratt and just hope I've caught you in a more generous mood?

Quote: sean knight @ November 6 2011, 11:05 PM GMT

I'm really struggling to think up some new ideas this year if I'm honest.

Would I get away with we re-submitting Doyle and Pratt and just hope I've caught you in a more generous mood?

Just re-submitting? Not a new ep? Or a rewrite?

Sean: Yes. That'll be £2000.

Quote: simon wright @ November 6 2011, 11:10 PM GMT

Just re-submitting? Not a new ep? Or a rewrite?

Nothing so ambitious unfortunately Whistling nnocently

Hi Sean

Try some of the creativity exercises in John Vorhaus's Creativity Rules! There's an excerpt on his website here http://radarenterprizes.com/?p=379

Might help to free you up.

Cheers, Declan

Hey Guys,

A quick question for Simon and Declan - when do you think the next Script Reading Service is likely to be happening? As you'll probably guess, I'm mainly wondering if it will be before the submission deadline as the mp3 and feedback could come in quite handy...!

Thanks!
Wales

Hi Welshy

The next script reading will be part of the Help! I've Written a Script workshop on November 12. So you've got a few days to apply if you want a reading. We'll probably do one in early January as well.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/4/

I'm going to write about a 'time-travelling vicar'.

No reason.

Quote: Jinky @ November 7 2011, 8:38 AM GMT

I'm going to write about a 'time-travelling vicar'.

Will his name be Pastor Future?

I'll get me coat.

Ooh nice one!

or

"In the Vic of time."

or

the pope based

"Primate evil"