British Comedy Guide

Lack of Open Submissions Page 2

Quote: Griff @ May 1 2011, 12:06 AM BST

There was never a time when "anyone could submit work to any TV/Radio show they fancied" except in the sense that anyone could use the Royal Mail to post scripts to TV producers, who would put them straight in the bin the same as they do now.

I have in front of me a book called Writing For The Films written by the marvellously named L'Estrange Fawcett, and published in 1927. It is highly amusing.

...Few authors are in a position to argue. They are glad to take the money, and they sign their contracts without knowing in the least what will be done with their work. The result is that the studios look on the author as a bit of a mug, until, of course, they come up against a man of mettle. But as such men are few and far between, and authors have never been able to organise themselves properly, every time a contract is signed the studios attempt some fresh encroachment on the average author's rights. He usually gives them the right to make as many alterations as they like".

It does seem to be a bit of an 'imagined' bygone era. I think the world of 'email' makes rejection much more immediate, thus making it seem more common.

Quote: Vader @ May 1 2011, 12:09 AM BST

Yes, as EV-D9D would say to Sophie "You're a feisty little one, but you'll soon learn some respect. I have need for you on the master's sail barge, and I think you'll fill in nicely."

They wouldn't, and they don't. They've seen my taun-taun.

Ok, I'll bite, so to speak, is taun-taun a euphemism for something?

Quote: Vader @ May 1 2011, 12:42 AM BST

Ok, I'll bite, so to speak, is taun-taun a euphemism for something?

It is if you've met my AT-AT.

Hmmm, the plot thickens... What if I have met your AT-AT?

Quote: Vader @ May 1 2011, 12:49 AM BST

Hmmm, the plot thickens... What if I have met your AT-AT?

You wouldn't be able to type for one thing...

Why, would I have fallen asleep?

Quote: Vader @ May 1 2011, 12:54 AM BST

Why, would I have fallen asleep?

Laughing out loud

Quote: soph41190 @ May 1 2011, 12:36 AM BST

It does seem to be a bit of an 'imagined' bygone era. I think the world of 'email' makes rejection much more immediate, thus making it seem more common.

Surely this strange 'email' world of which you speak means more open submissions (and therefore more rejections of course).

I just realised it's Sophie Pretzel! She's changed her name!

Quote: chipolata @ May 3 2011, 2:00 PM BST

I just realised it's Sophie Pretzel! She's changed her name!

Keep up Chip. There'll be a test later.

I only visit down here sporadically. It's too depressing.

I find real life is currently not pleasant with most of my colleagues currently dithering over their "choose your preferred option by which you will allow your employer to screw you over" form. So I'm hiding in cyberspace instead until its all over.

Quote: Marc P @ May 3 2011, 2:14 PM BST

That day absolutely did use to exist. I sent some spec scripts in for an existing show called Peppa Pig written in my own blood and full of violent sexual imagery, the exec called me in and commissioned an original pilot for a series based on a page or so outline. That was my first drama commission. Similar thing happened in the BBC sitcom dept and it was so important I was driven to the "writing academy" in a police van and then chained up to a wall and not let out! People did use to be interested in finding new writers and then giving them several thousands of electricity and psycotropic medication. Fact.

It's that easy to get your own comission?

Yes. Stick to violent sexual imagery and you can't go wrong. :)

Never failed for me and now I'm writing for In the Night Garden