British Comedy Guide

Mentor/writing partner needed, Scottish preferred. Page 2

Quote: Tracy @ April 19 2011, 5:43 PM BST

Compatability requirements.
Should like/love the following:
Father Ted. Dad's Army. Just shoot me. Northern exposure. Grand Designs. Bill Hicks. Chris Rock. Frasier.

Spot the odd one out, and it's not Grand Designs.

How can a list of loves that includes Bill Hicks, Fraiser and Father Ted, also include "Just Shoot Me"? Maybe it's me, maybe I can't see the genius.

Hate/despise/loathe
Michael McIntyre. Ricky Gervais. Anything by the Spaced bloke and his kind. Monty F**king Python.

Hate is a strong word.

You couldn't find a set of more disparate comedy influences to dislike. It's really hard to get a handle on what you do and don't like when there's not a single unifying theme or style within it. Unless you just despise things because they are popular, in which case you might want to be a bit more open minded.

Quote: Tracy @ April 19 2011, 5:18 PM BST

I have an outline for an idea for a sitcom, or perhaps a film, set in Scotland.
I'm an untried writer. I am in my late 40's and menopausal. So if you would be interested in attempting to write something with me good luck and contact me.

Thanks.

What is the idea for this sitcom/film exactly?

A nice way to treat a newcomer!

Smart arse replies to show us all how witty you are.

Well the orignal poster made the first mistake, she choose a 'female' name, and mentioned the menopause, thereby confirming that she is indeed a woman.

There's no way she could claw her way back from that.

We're just auditioning

Griffs advice was good by the way

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 20 2011, 10:13 PM BST

Griffs advice was good by the way

Agreed.

Quote: Griff @ April 20 2011, 3:35 PM BST

Write some sketches/scenes and post them up here. Or if you don't want to put them in public, say you'll PM them to anyone who's interested. If people like your writing style they might be more inclined to think "I'd like to collaborate with that person".

So there it is again.

Welcome btw. Wave

Quote: AngieBaby @ April 20 2011, 10:10 PM BST

"Well the original poster made the first mistake, she choose a 'female' name, and mentioned the menopause, thereby confirming that she is indeed a woman! There's no way she could claw her way back from that!"

;)

I always saw myself as one of these...

;)

The Viz women featured in the replies are all years away from menopause may I point out.

Menopause is a fun time mentally, you may be able to botox your face into surrender, but your hormones really f**k with you. It has definitely made me more creative. I think of ever more ingenious ways to kill my husband and make it look accidental. I think they should move Bergerac from jersey to Luton, it would help with the ethnic problem they were critisised about, and I live there.

Just Shoot Me is a brilliant show. I think the americans do comedy sit coms better than us now.
I think Monty Python is like the emperors new clothes, people pretend they find it funny, not to would be unpatriotic.
Grand designs was a clue.

Ok, time for us to fire some interview questions at you, what do you consider to be your strengths and weaknesses?

Strengths, I would say knitting and other handicrafts in which I would include wanking.

Weaknesses, always skint.

Hmmm, I meant more in terms of your writing.

Your husband's a lucky man though by the sounds of it.

Are you Scottish or English by the way? Or other?

Half irish half english.

Strengths, dialogue. Plot.

Weaknesses, I need to incorporate more conflict into my plots to make them interesting. Also, with my characters, even if they are unpleasant I always feel the need to make them in some way likeable, and try to find something redeemable about them when I shouldn't.

Quote: Tracy @ April 21 2011, 10:47 PM BST

Half irish half english.

Strengths, dialogue. Plot.

Weaknesses, I need to incorporate more conflict into my plots to make them interesting. Also, with my characters, even if they are unpleasant I always feel the need to make them in some way likeable, and try to find something redeemable about them when I shouldn't.

Why shouldn't you? - and how the hell can your plots be your strengths and your weaknesses?? Think it through woman.

Quote: Marc P @ April 21 2011, 10:52 PM BST

Why shouldn't you? - and how the hell can your plots be your strengths and your weaknesses?? Think it through woman.

I think that some characters are unredeemable, I write them that way, then start to feel sorry for them and try to save them.

I plot well, then sometimes the characters start to carry the plot too far, when it should actually be story driven. I think that on stage people want to hear what's happening, but on screen people want to see things happening. Conflict drives a story and I think I lack that at times.