British Comedy Guide

Is plagiarism showing itself on here?

I am sure many of us have wondered and worried about plagairism after showing our stuff on here in critique.
I certainly have and so try to keep my sketch's just to the pertinent part I want cririque on.

But recently, I have actually heard some of my stuff said on TV!

I do know that wit is not unique and several people can have exactly the same idea but when you hear what you thought to be your original dialogue said by different 'comics' and on different shows, alarm bells start to ring.

Now, I can't remember the first thing I heard. It was a few weeks back and I remember thinking 'I wrote something almost exactly like that' - just a quick line but it was what I wrote.
Then last Friday on 'Have I got news for you' Kevin Bridges apparently used a line straight from one of my sketches.

He paraphrased this bit

CLOSE UP
A PILE OF HUMAN POO ON THE PAVEMENT
BUT, THERE IS A HUGE DOGS PAW PRINT IN THE MIDDLE.

MALE #1
Is that a dogs footprint in the middle?

MALE #2 (LOOKING AT MALE #1 WITH AWE)
Justice.

Of course, it will probably be coincidence - but a third time and I'm of to me lawers. :)

How do we know you're not Kevin Bridges in real life?

It does happen, the production teams have these sites scoured for decent material which saves them having to write original content. I had a couple of articles rejected a couple of years ago, only to see them appear a few months later in print, attributed to a well known comedian/author. When I wrote my complaint I recieved the rote response of 'coincidence', 'great minds' & other such bullshit, but the plagiarist had even used the name of a fake University & scientists name (I had plucked them from thin air, they were sufficiently obscure enough to be an incredible coincidence that someone would come to the same imaginings as well!) within 10 lines of script that were identical, literally verbatim to my sketch.
Take a positive from it, they must think your stuff is good enough for a larger audience, so your comedy writing is at least appealing to the mass market. Then get yourself a crossbow......;)

> He paraphrased this bit

So there's no real way of knowing if he simply thought of the same situation.

Bridges used the line on another show (Stand Up For The Week?) before he used it on HIGNFY. Can't remember when.

I think the idea that ANYONE is searching through Critique, looking for stuff to steal, is a little unlikely.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 18 2011, 1:32 PM BST

I think the idea that ANYONE is searching through Critique, looking for stuff to steal, is a little unlikely.

And, if they are, may God have mercy on their souls.

I'm so worried about plagiarism that I never post my stuff, send it to producers or even write it down.

As I said originally - talent borrows genius steals!

Quote: Marc P @ April 18 2011, 1:39 PM BST

As I said originally - talent borrows genius steals!

Genius could also get itself a lot of very bad publicity if it gets sued.

I would agree with that Matthew.
But this site is famous and I am sure many professionals have a read here.

Who is to say that they see a good line and then work with it - even subconciously.

Exactly. Mitchell and Webb are always nicking my stuff. Usually before I've written it or even thought of it.

A reader/producer for BBC coemdy said at a talk I attended recently

"If you have an initial idea for a sketch ignore it, if it's obvious then 10 other people will have thought of it."

And that really is the case. There are very few original ideas out there. And the dog poo joke is an extremely basic reversal joke.

People walk in dog poo, what if it was the other way around?

I remember when Micheal Jackson died obvious jokes about him were appearing simulteaneously all over Facebook.

The thing about TV comedy isn't making obvious jokes. Its being noticed and becoming the person who makes obvious jokes.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 18 2011, 1:25 PM BST

Bridges used the line on another show (Stand Up For The Week?) before he used it on HIGNFY. Can't remember when.

My sketch was posted here in October 2010

A joke is easy to see how it was constructed once it has been made. It's making them in the first place that's the clever bit.

Saying everything is obvious is a 'cop out' really. That would apply to every line written

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ April 18 2011, 1:41 PM BST

I would agree with that Matthew.
But this site is famous and I am sure many professionals have a read here.

Who is to say that they see a good line and then work with it - even subconciously.

Yup I'm sure they do.

The idea they trawl through the midden that is critique is a bit mad though.