British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 2

More importantly, have you gone for it?

Me? I'm applying to the Writers Ac this year yes. It's more a formality thing. I don't know (of) many applicants who got in first time around, or got in at my age certainly. So I'm considering it a practice run. But yes, long story short etc, I am applying. :)

I thought you'd already be on one (or more) of their shadow schemes, Sophie, what with your All Mixed Up and Ceebeebies success. :)

If your submission script impresses them, then I shouldn't think age or firstimerism will factor into it.

If the work is good enough then age shouldn't be a factor. Best of luck with it.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 26 2011, 12:50 AM BST

Getting a job on Doctors is as hard as getting a job anywhere.

Slightly harder than becoming a real doctor, in fact.

I think ideally age wouldn't be a factor, but often (rightly) it is counted as parallel to experience. I've heard of people turned down at interview with the feedback of 'let's see how you've progressed by next year', and then get in 2 odd years later.

But in truth, who really knows the ways of Auntie...?

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 26 2011, 12:50 AM BST

Getting a job on Doctors is as hard as getting a job anywhere.

There must be a lot of strange people out there...

Most of them want to be Charlie Kauffmen.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 28 2011, 4:37 PM BST

Most of them want to be Charlie Kauffmen.

I didn't know that Charlie Kaufman writes for Holby City...

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 28 2011, 9:06 PM BST

I didn't know that Charlie Kaufman writes for Holby City...

Are you insane? Of course he did! Have you been living under a rock? He wrote the episode that then didn't happen and everyone started gnitirw sdrawkcab...

Application sent this evening. Tum ti tum. Would be really chuffed to get to interview...but competition is going to be sh** hot, so we'll see!

Quote: Vader @ April 28 2011, 4:26 PM BST

There must be a lot of strange people out there...

Laughing out loud What a card

Maybe it is just me but I do wonder whether the way to train gourmet chefs is to put them to work in a sausage factory.

Pretty sad that people deem themselves 'above' BBC flagship shows. Unemployed = Undiscovered genius I suppose...

What do you mean by flagship Sophie?

What they are known for. It's very easy for us, as writers, to look at our own tastes and think they are above those of everybody else. Casualty, Holby...Eastenders, these are the shows that pick up consistently the biggest weekly figures. Millions of people watch them and they have been running for years. It mightn't be the HBO sort of thing that many people believe they deserve to be employed to write off the bat, but the fact is, continuing drama is the biggest employer of screenwriters, particularly new screenwriters anywhere in the UK. The fact that they still provide an avenue for the training of new writers is so uncommon, and believe me, they don't have to do it. They have too many writers already. I don't have any pretensions or beliefs that people should 'love' these shows. But I know a lot of people who've not done a lot but believe that they are above the 'bread and butter'. I just believe these sort of shows and schemes deserve a little respect is all. You don't have to believe it's great writing or great drama. But these are the shows that continually attract the most viewers. We can't just sniff at that because we believe we are the next David Simon's. :)