British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 19

Quote: KLRiley @ May 1 2011, 2:20 PM BST

I come back to a point which I raised in the early pages, does writing for a soap really make the best grounding for writing drama? Is this the Beeb's best response? Are there not other ways to find your way to writing your opus dei?

My guess is they're not short of people submitting drama.
What they're obviously looking for is people to write soaps.
And to write them the way they want them written.
Continuing drama (to give it it's polite name) eat up a lot of writers and I should imagine the 'churn' is pretty horrific.
I don't think it's any more complicated than that.
They don't need to cultivate more drama writers.
They just need to commission more drama.

Having said that, it looks like the Beeb is putting it's best foot forward over the next few weeks - so good luck to 'em.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 12:47 PM BST

Well, it was a cliffhanger to the extent that a bomb went off and we're left wondering how they all escaped. Obvously with this kind of thing it can only be a cliffhanger to a certain extent as we know that they're not actually going to die.

The bomb didn't go off - Watson wore a bomb jacket, Moriarty said he was going to leave them and departed. At some point (can't recall precisely) the jacket is flung off. Moriarty comes back, having changed his mind as says he's going to kill them. The option appeared to be shooting the bomb jacket at his feet.

That was roughly the cliffhanger. Can't recall precisely, it was a while back!

I agree that this academy is mainly about finding fodder for Continuing Drama Series, rather than anything else.

Quote: Griff @ May 1 2011, 5:18 PM BST

It's probably worth remembering at this point that a lot of BBC drama is made by independent production companies. You don't have to have gone through the Writers Academy to get your work on telly. Write a great calling card script and get it out to agents.

Exactly.

Quote: Griff @ May 1 2011, 5:18 PM BST

Shelagh Stephenson's plays are exactly the kind of thing that people who don't go to the theatre are afraid it is going to be like. I can't think of a play I've enjoyed less than Memory Of Water.

I said she had a track record. Didn't say that it was necessary stuff that you'd like.

(Sets world record for not managing to quote a post right the first time. But at least it can be edited.)

Did you get a prize for breaking 10000 posts?

Quote: Griff @ May 1 2011, 5:28 PM BST

Marc P noticed, and now you. That's prize enough for me.

:$

Griff got the satisfaction of knowing that his soul is that little bit smaller.

Quote: Antrax @ May 1 2011, 5:08 PM BST

The bomb didn't go off - Watson wore a bomb jacket, Moriarty said he was going to leave them and departed. At some point (can't recall precisely) the jacket is flung off. Moriarty comes back, having changed his mind as says he's going to kill them. The option appeared to be shooting the bomb jacket at his feet.

That was roughly the cliffhanger. Can't recall precisely, it was a while back!

Yes, thanks, this sort of dubious malarkey.

so... can you send a sictom script in or not?

I read the first few pages and then a couple in the middle, but am no wiser.

Anyone?

I wouldn't send a sitcom script to a drama initiative, no.

Page 1, Post 10:

My script was optioned - does this count as a professional commission?
Yes it does.

I have written a novel - do I qualify?
No - you need to have been commissioned to write drama.

What about comedy?
A full length script of a sit com or comedy drama would be fine. Sketches would not.

Having said that.
Marc is right - you'll probably be up against people more suited to the job in hand

Quote: Lazzard @ May 2 2011, 9:30 AM BST

Page 1, Post 10:

Yes it does.

What about comedy?
A full length script of a sit com or comedy drama would be fine. Sketches would not.

Having said that.
Marc is right - you'll probably be up against people more suited to the job in hand

This. And quite a lot of other stuff on the earlier pages.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 2 2011, 9:30 AM BST

Page 1, Post 10:

Yes it does.

What about comedy?

Having said that.

Technically, they're asking about whether he should submit a sitcom script as his example piece... and I think the section you quote is referring to the qualifications required.

So if you've had an episode of a sitcom or comedy drama commissioned you are eligible for the scheme. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to send one is as your example piece. I reckon you should submit a dramatic piece.

Yes it says you can submit a sitcom script, but I wouldn't advise it.

helpful.

thanks.