British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/writers_academy.shtml

Looks like a long shot but not impossible

"Phil Mitchell goes on a killing spree and kills everyone in the Square, next stop - Holby City."

Right, where do I send it?

It turns out that Dr's was actually a dream by an alcoholic punmeister from Norfolk

Paid for writing for film, TV, radio or theatre it states on the website.
Does that seriously mean that those of us who have managed a one liner on newsjack can now state "I have been produced on the BBC" and qualify?

No. They'll want to see drama credits.

Not drama specifically. Just a paid commission. But apparently sketch work doesn't count.

Sorry Sophie. If you go onto the website and read the t and cs in full it is a drama commission that is required. That commission can be in any arena - theatre, film, TV or radio - but you also need to be able to show them the receipt. :)

https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp?newms=jj&id=37966

WIth all due respect to my learned friend in this case there is a brief m'lud. This is a competition specifically to train people to write for Casualty, Holby, EastEnders and Doctors with the carrot of eventually getting their own ideas into production. So, if you can do doom, gloom and depression, outlandish and implausible plotlines, you'll be a shoe in.

To be fair, the term 'drama' in this context is contentious. Seemingly my commission is absolutely fine, and I wrote for a childrens series. I think they just want evidence that you have, at some point, been 'hired' to write something for a performance medium.

You need to demonstrate that you have been paid to write a piece of drama i.e. a commission.
- This has to be a complete piece of dramatic writing (includes comedy scripts, but not sketches) either for television, radio, theatre or film.

My script was optioned - does this count as a professional commission?
Yes it does.

I have written a novel - do I qualify?
No - you need to have been commissioned to write drama.

What about comedy?
A full length script of a sit com or comedy drama would be fine. Sketches would not.

Going by that, I think Sophie should be fine.

Does being something of a drama queen count towards the entry criteria? If so, then most us might as well give it a shot.

My comedy writing is unfunny and makes people both tearful and violent does that count?

So they don't just let anyone write for Doctors?

Quote: crake @ April 24 2011, 2:32 PM BST

So they don't just let anyone write for Doctors?

Not so much anymore.

Getting a job on Doctors is as hard as getting a job anywhere.