British Comedy Guide

"Spec" scripts

Just a general quesiton.

Has anyone here ever written a "spec" script - an original script, but for an existing tv-show?

No, not really. That's only because "spec scripts" are generally only used in the US. The UK likes original material.

The BBC writersroom say they like to get spec scripts, as it can help showcase a writers ability.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 9, 2007, 2:33 PM

The BBC writersroom say they like to get spec scripts, as it can help showcase a writers ability.

Really?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/guidelines_tvcomedy.shtml
has

What not to send:
an episode for an existing series

Well ive read interviews with people who have said they got onto writing courses at the BBC after sending spec scripts for shows like Eastenders to the writersroom, so thats why I said that they do. If they dont, then I apologise unreservadly for my ignorant post. Amen.

Sounds like it's for "TV Narrative Comedy" that they don't want spec scripts.
Are you OK, Matthew?

Yes, my above post was an attempt at deadpan humour. Which admittadly may come across as being an arse in the written word. Thanks for your concern though; perhaps we could get together some time for a cuddle. And sex.

I do rather recall that an episode of "Babes in the Wood" came from a speculative script. But I have no evidence to support this (possibly) spurious information and apologise in advance if anyone wastes their time as a result.

Gary Shandling started out by writing a spec script for Sanford and Son in America and they took him on as a full time writer.

It must work surely? If you send off a script to an existing show and it's good, they'd be daft not to take a punt on you.

To answer the original question, I haven't done so before, but this is what it says on the BBC Writersroom website (it's probably pointing more towards writing for drama, but the principles are practically the same);

Writersroom does not accept 'spec' episodes for existing shows – we're looking primarily for talented writers on the basis of original work that shows a clear ability to create unique characters, plots and dialogue. So please send in an original script as a ‘calling card' of your talent. 'Calling Card' scripts are original stories written to demonstrate your ability to write in the style and format of a series.