British Comedy Guide

BBC's WR

Just sent off my first script to the BBC and was just wondering if anyone has done the same and what sort of time frame am I looking at to get it back?

is it the longer its gone the better?

Quote: cluvss @ January 20 2011, 4:13 PM GMT

Just sent off my first script to the BBC and was just wondering if anyone has done the same and what sort of time frame am I looking at to get it back?

is it the longer its gone the better?

Don't expect your rejection for at least 6 months.

is that speaking from experiance or is that just a swipe at WR because there useless?

Quote: cluvss @ January 20 2011, 4:24 PM GMT

is that speaking from experiance or is that just a swipe at WR because there useless?

Well, experience in the sense that I once sent them a script they rejected. To be fair to them, they were spot on in their analysis that time.

For your sake I wouldn't pin high hopes on getting a series though the WR. I might be wrong but I think the last success story in that sense was The Smoking Room.

Still, no harm in sending off a script, unless you count the cost of printing and postage.

Also, I think WR is more likely to pick up a drama writer than a sitcom; from what people have said on here at least. No harm in sending it though.

doing it more for the experiance rather than holding high hopes for being a succesful writer, I really enjoy writing and im hoping for feedback at most. found this site today and realised I didnt need WR for feedback from writers. alot of people have found it funny yet im still unconfident as I know them all.

I sent a screenplay and received a confirmation of receipt from them just before crimbo. Hoping not to hear anything at least until the end of Febuary, unless it is one of those big awards cheques of course.

Good Luck

well if anyone wants a read of it just let me know and ill e-mail it.

need some true opinions rather than my mates and missus giving me the "its great" speech.

Quote: cluvss @ January 20 2011, 4:35 PM GMT

doing it more for the experiance rather than holding high hopes for being a succesful writer, I really enjoy writing and im hoping for feedback at most. found this site today and realised I didnt need WR for feedback from writers. alot of people have found it funny yet im still unconfident as I know them all.

The WR very rarely offer feedback, typically you just get a 'no thanks' letter. That's the experience of everyone I know who's ever sent them something anyway. If it's feedback you're after you'd be better of posting on here in Critique (in chunks I would recommend) or paying someone like Marc Blake for his assessment.

very new to the site so thanks for the info. ill check it out now.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 20 2011, 4:31 PM GMT

For your sake I wouldn't pin high hopes on getting a series though the WR. I might be wrong but I think the last success story in that sense was The Smoking Room.

The Smoking Room was developed on the Thames comedy course and sent direct by Brian Dooley to Sophie Clarke-Jervoise at BBC Comedy, so while it may have been with the writers' room at some point, it didn't come to us from there. Though they have talent-spotted a number of writers who are working in various aspects of TV.

Would it be fair to say that WR are more interested in identifying writers to develop than scripts to develop?

as far as I can make out its more of the fact of it being based on luck, one reader may find it hilarious compared to a slightly more prudish reader who discards it before page 10.

Quote: cluvss @ January 20 2011, 4:40 PM GMT

need some true opinions rather than my mates and missus giving me the "its great" speech.

Put some of it in the 'critique' section of this site.

Would it be fair to say that WR are more interested in identifying writers to develop than scripts to develop?

That's exactly what it is.

The Beeb will always seek writers. Not just for Continuing Drama, but also for their other many commissions, such as writing teams for comedy panels shows, My Family, Not Going Out, Two Pints, not to mention their radio output.

When sending off a script to WR, think of it as your "calling card."

Therefore, you really should be sending them a great script that best reveals your writing talent. And more importantly, your unique voice.

I've sent (over the course of the last year or so) three drama scripts to WR, ALL of which have been returned with very good feedback.

Which is good. But also a little frustrating as surely they should be thinking "Okay. 3 x scripts. 3 x feedback/coverage. This writer has potential. Let's take him on."

I heard a rumour that WR keep an eye on talent with potential. I'm hoping that rumour is true. :)