British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 34

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ February 26 2011, 2:42 PM GMT

This week it was a vox-pop, the Peter Mandelson being brave to share a waltz with Ann Widdecombe gag (he's never spun anything that big before). Last week was the Nick Clegg not being able to keep a promise sketch. *

* In my version, at the end he promises to fix the brakes on his wife's car; I wasn't surprised to see that edited :)

Ah, I loved that Nick Clegg sketch last week!

Congratulations to everyone who got stuff on. Mine was the the Hollyoaks line, which was the intro to a sketch they didn't use. Still, my first credit so well-chuffed.

For the record, my favourite bit was also the fait accompli line.

Martyn

Congrats to everyone who got on!

They used my 60 second interview, but it was re-written virtually from scratch. It was like a totally different sketch!

Never mind - I'll knock 'em for 6 this week! *looks at news. falls asleep.*

I always seem to get material in episode 4. Happened in series 2 and 3.

So I guess it'll be my turn this week. :P

Only one problem. I've been busy on other projects and haven't actually written any Newsjack stuff this weekend yet.

Quote: Humberfloob @ February 26 2011, 4:59 PM GMT

Congratulations to everyone who got stuff on. Mine was the the Hollyoaks line, which was the intro to a sketch they didn't use. Still, my first credit so well-chuffed.

For the record, my favourite bit was also the fait accompli line.

Martyn

The Hollyoaks line made me laugh out loud. Nice one, Martyn :)

Quote: StephenM @ February 26 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

Congratulations to all those who got something on this week. Although Trabs and Andrea bit greedy getting double credits, that's less to go round the rest of us. ;)

(Loved the Paddington Bear sketch, especially the line "but it is a fait accompli. Or whatever the Spanish is for that.")

And what was your credit Gerry? (I'm a bit of a completer-finisher on these things so always good to know)

Thanks for the nice words on Paddington :)

Quote: RJ @ February 26 2011, 10:04 AM GMT

Well, it was a very obscure story, but sometimes that can work in your favour. There's no chance of anyone else covering it, so there's no direct competition, and if they like your angle you're in.

Problems arise if a story is too obscure, of course, so it's a thin line to tread.

Yes, indeed. I sent in a sketch about the AV referendum, too - but as well as being the weaker sketch, I was also aware it was a news story plenty of other people would have sent jokes/sketches about.

That said: I guess you still never know how your own stuff compares to others'... plus comedy is so subjective. I basically bombard them with every remotely funny one-liner I can possibly think of, because you never know a) what stories *haven't* been covered and b) what will tickle the producers' fancy. As it were.

Absolutely. If you think it's got something, send it in. You never know...

Quote: StephenM @ February 26 2011, 4:41 PM GMT

You know I'm glad you wrote the Mandelson gag down, I heard it as 'share a waltzer with Ann Widdecombe'. That makes a lot more sense!

Interesting they changed that as last week they had an ending that was a joke about the two horses killed at Newbury. Mind you it got a huge 'oooo' from the audience and promptly got edited out.

The One about the two Horses at Newbury was it like this?

After the Electrocution of two racehorses at Newbury this week I was disappointed to find my online bookmaker only gave me Odds of 3-1 on Frankenstein's Return in the 3.30.

Just Curious

Quote: Humberfloob @ February 26 2011, 4:59 PM GMT

Martyn

Loved the Hollyoaks bit. It tickled me enough to LOL and I've only ever seen the trailers!

Thanks Chantoozie and clueless :)

For those who have never had their work performed or broadcast before (and I included myself in that group before Thursday) I can heartily recommend it, it's a real buzz.

I've been submitting stuff on and off since the first series so try not to lose heart and keep at it.

With regards to my Hollyoaks one-liner, I've been analysing it again and again and again and again (etc) in my head thinking about why that got on and other stuff I submitted didn't. And I think it worked because the audience for Hollyoaks is completely opposite to the audience for Newsjack, so much so that it's like an 'alien culture' to them. And the fact that you laughed clueless having never really seen the show perhaps backs that theory up.

Or not, I dunno, it's early and my morning caffeine injection hasn't kicked in yet ...

Quote: Batleywriter @ February 26 2011, 11:56 PM GMT

After the Electrocution of two racehorses at Newbury this week I was disappointed to find my online bookmaker only gave me Odds of 3-1 on Frankenstein's Return in the 3.30.

Just Curious

Sorry don't think it was. It was the punchline to a sketch but can't remember which sketch as the rest of it had nothing to do with that news story.

And Humberflood - good work on the Hollyoaks line, got to be happy with a round of applause for it!

Quote: Humberfloob @ February 27 2011, 7:07 AM GMT

Thanks Chantoozie and clueless :)

For those who have never had their work performed or broadcast before (and I included myself in that group before Thursday) I can heartily recommend it, it's a real buzz.

I've been submitting stuff on and off since the first series so try not to lose heart and keep at it.

With regards to my Hollyoaks one-liner, I've been analysing it again and again and again and again (etc) in my head thinking about why that got on and other stuff I submitted didn't. And I think it worked because the audience for Hollyoaks is completely opposite to the audience for Newsjack, so much so that it's like an 'alien culture' to them. And the fact that you laughed clueless having never really seen the show perhaps backs that theory up.

Or not, I dunno, it's early and my morning caffeine injection hasn't kicked in yet ...

I think you're over analysing there just a wee bit. It worked because they thought it was funny. Other stuff isn't getting on, because they didn't. Without seeing what that other stuff was, I can't really say, but I'd wager that one-liner was probably one of the better ones you've submitted. It certainly stood out on the show, and got a great response.

And you don't have to regularly watch 'Hollyoaks' to know it's usually a byword for crap TV.

Quote: StephenM @ February 27 2011, 8:48 AM GMT

And Humberflood - good work on the Hollyoaks line, got to be happy with a round of applause for it!

Thank Stephen, I was! I wish I could say something funny or cool but it was just a genuinely ace feeling, which doesn't diminish after listening back to it for the hundredth time!

Quote: RJ @ February 27 2011, 10:10 AM GMT

I think you're over analysing there just a wee bit. It worked because they thought it was funny. Other stuff isn't getting on, because they didn't. Without seeing what that other stuff was, I can't really say, but I'd wager that one-liner was probably one of the better ones you've submitted. It certainly stood out on the show, and got a great response.

And you don't have to regularly watch 'Hollyoaks' to know it's usually a byword for crap TV.

Fair point!

Quote: Batleywriter @ February 26 2011, 11:56 PM GMT

Very good. I also tried a one-liner but could only manage:

Who said Politicians can't be civil to one another? I hear Cameron has offered to treat the whole shadow cabinet to a day out at Newbury racecourse. But, strangely, only if it's raining.

My efforts for this week are gone in...they say God loves a tryer :)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 27 2011, 5:40 PM GMT

My efforts for this week are gone in...they say God loves a tryer :)

It would appear so does the Newsjack team. This from their Twitter page:

"Good morning all, just a quickie to say please keep the sketches coming. Don't let the week 4 lull claim you!"

Of course that just makes an episode 4 rejection all the more painful than the previous three.