British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 33

Quote: chipolata @ February 25 2011, 10:44 AM GMT

You should celebrate by showing us the other side of your face.

I can't believe you have mocked me for only having half a face! This must be how the Elephant Man felt! *runs off sobbing*

Quote: Chantoozie @ February 25 2011, 10:56 AM GMT

I can't believe you have mocked me for only having half a face! This must be how the Elephant Man felt! *runs off sobbing*

:D

Quote: swerytd @ February 25 2011, 10:50 AM GMT

Andrea

Ian has posted an example of his ep 1 sketch that was edited if you (or anyone else) was interested.

Dan

Ooh thanks, I missed that - will take a look.

Quote: Steve Michaelson @ February 11 2011, 6:36 PM GMT

Wave

Hi everyone. Become aware of this place through Twitter. Can't believe I haven't found you before.

Firstly, congratulations to Ian, Dan and Trabs on getting their work in this week.

On a personal note can I thank Badge, StephenM and Gerry for the kind words on the Yellow Pages sketch. I'm blushing here.

Lovey

Hey Steve, they liked the 'sold out' gag so much they used it again last night; make sure they weigh you in twice :)

Just listened to the podcast of this week's show. Congratulations to everyone who got something on this week. Some good stuff in there.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ February 25 2011, 2:07 PM GMT

Hey Steve, they liked the 'sold out' gag so much they used it again last night; make sure they weigh you in twice :)

I'll admit it did seem familiar.
:)

Quote: Chantoozie @ February 25 2011, 10:41 AM GMT

They used a gag of mine at the start (Libya arms) and the Paddington sketch was mine: it's my first sketch to be aired anywhere!

Great to hear - Well done!

Quote: Chantoozie @ February 25 2011, 10:41 AM GMT

Congrats Trabs and others who got stuff on this week, and condolences to folks who didn't. They used a gag of mine at the start (Libya arms) and the Paddington sketch was mine: here's the original if you're interested - http://www.andreamann.com/blog - it's interesting/a good learning process for me to see what got changed, especially as this is all very new to me, it's my first sketch to be aired anywhere! (they basically shortened it, and added a nice extra bit to the Aunt Lucy line which makes the joke hit harder - so adda Newsjack peeps)

Hey Andrea.
Congrats for getting more stuff on.
Am I being thicko when I ask... what news story is being parodied in the Paddington sketch?
I must have missed this story.

Well done to all who got stuff on this week. It was a good show.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ February 25 2011, 8:06 PM GMT

Am I being thicko when I ask... what news story is being parodied in the Paddington sketch?

I missed it too, but Google tells me:

"After a century of controversy, the Peruvian government expects to receive the disputed Machu Picchu artifacts from Yale at the end of March, when they will first be exhibited in Lima's government palace, announced minister of culture Juan Ossio."

http://www.livinginperu.com/news/14199

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ February 25 2011, 8:06 PM GMT

Hey Andrea.
Congrats for getting more stuff on.

Thanks Mikey. I heard the story on Radio 4 news and saw it on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12438695. I realised some people would have missed it, which is why I included an intro for Miles saying: "This week, Yale University signed an agreement with Peru to return thousands of Inca artefacts. The event has sent cultural shockwaves throughout the world - extending even to Britain, where we understand the following exchange took place at the Peruvian Embassy in London."

Quote: RJ @ February 25 2011, 7:04 PM GMT

Great to hear - Well done!

Thanks RJ!

Well, it was a very obscure story, but sometimes that can work in your favour. There's no chance of anyone else covering it, so there's no direct competition, and if they like your angle you're in.

Problems arise if a story is too obscure, of course, so it's a thin line to tread.

Congratulations to all those who got something on this week. Although Trabs and Andrea bit greedy getting double credits, that's less to go round the rest of us. ;)

(Loved the Paddington Bear sketch, especially the line "but it is a fait accompli. Or whatever the Spanish is for that.")

And what was your credit Gerry? (I'm a bit of a completer-finisher on these things so always good to know)

Quote: StephenM @ February 26 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

Congratulations to all those who got something on this week. Although Trabs and Andrea bit greedy getting double credits, that's less to go round the rest of us. ;)

(Loved the Paddington Bear sketch, especially the line "but it is a fait accompli. Or whatever the Spanish is for that.")

Ditto all that, especially the greedy bit. ;)

The fait accompli line got a big Laughing out loud here.

Quote: StephenM @ February 26 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

And what was your credit Gerry? (I'm a bit of a completer-finisher on these things so always good to know)

This week it was a vox-pop, the Peter Mandelson being brave to share a waltz with Ann Widdecombe gag (he's never spun anything that big before). Last week was the Nick Clegg not being able to keep a promise sketch. *

* In my version, at the end he promises to fix the brakes on his wife's car; I wasn't surprised to see that edited :)

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ February 26 2011, 2:42 PM GMT

This week it was a vox-pop, the Peter Mandelson being brave to share a waltz with Ann Widdecombe gag (he's never spun anything that big before). Last week was the Nick Clegg not being able to keep a promise sketch. *

* In my version, at the end he promises to fix the brakes on his wife's car; I wasn't surprised to see that edited :)

You know I'm glad you wrote the Mandelson gag down, I heard it as 'share a waltzer with Ann Widdecombe'. That makes a lot more sense!

Interesting they changed that as last week they had an ending that was a joke about the two horses killed at Newbury. Mind you it got a huge 'oooo' from the audience and promptly got edited out.