British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 2,159

Quote: Aaron @ April 27 2010, 2:19 PM BST

It sounds like it refers to literally red sauce.

Yes.

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 2:23 PM BST

The overwhelming majority of Americans have never heard the term. Brown sauce, too, for what it's worth.

Yeah but they say catsup - go figure! :)

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 2:23 PM BST

The overwhelming majority of Americans have never heard the term.

I'm sure most of them could crack the code.

Quote: Marc P @ April 27 2010, 3:48 PM BST

Yeah but they say catsup - go figure! :)

All the products here are labeled "ketchup." Google says "You can blame (Irishman) Jonathan Swift" for the "catsup" spelling.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 27 2010, 3:51 PM BST

I'm sure most of them could crack the code.

If you asked Americans to define "red sauce" I think they'd be divided between marinara or spaghetti sauce and the stuff (red or green) that gets poured onto "wet" burritos. I doubt ketchup would even come to mind.

Thats funny. In books they spell it catsup - as in 'hey honey pass the catsup, my grits need titivating up some!'

Quote: Marc P @ April 27 2010, 4:08 PM BST

In books they spell it catsup - as in 'hey honey pass the catsup, my grits need titivating up some?'

PM me the ISBN on that. Sounds quite good.

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 4:08 PM BST

If you asked Americans to define "red sauce" I think they'd be divided between marinara or spaghetti sauce and the stuff (red or green) that gets poured onto "wet" burritos. I doubt ketchup would even come to mind.

Even if I was sat with a plate of chips and asked for some red sauce to go on?

Anyway, everyone in the UK would know what it was.

Quote: chipolata @ April 27 2010, 4:10 PM BST

PM me the ISBN on that. Sounds quite good.

It'll be out next May. No number yet. ;)

Quote: Marc P @ April 27 2010, 4:08 PM BST

Thats funny. In books they spell it catsup - as in 'hey honey pass the catsup, my grits need titivating up some!'

Ketchup on grits? Never heard of such a thing. Butter or maple syrup, maybe, but never ketchup.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 27 2010, 4:12 PM BST

Even if I was sat with a plate of chips and asked for some red sauce to go on?

They'd probably bring you a bottle of Tabasco sauce and a bag of crisps.

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 4:17 PM BST

They'd probably bring you a bottle of Tabasco sauce and a bag of crisps.

Those crazy Yanks! :D

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 4:17 PM BST

Ketchup on grits? Never heard of such a thing. Butter or maple syrup, maybe, but never ketchup.

That was my wee joke Da Butt mixing up some terms. English people don't know what grits are in the very largely main! :)

Quote: Marc P @ April 27 2010, 4:20 PM BST

English people don't know what grits are in the very largely main! :)

You put them on the road if it snows. You keep having to replenish though as cats, foxes, dogs, and so on eat them.

Unless they've seen My Cousin Vinnie.

Quote: Marc P @ April 27 2010, 4:20 PM BST

English people don't know what grits are in the very largely main! :)

I doubt that more than 10% of Americans like the stuff. Perhaps even fewer than that. (I like grits if I'm eating breakfast in a greasy spoon somewhere in the south.)

The first time I had meatloaf in a blueish collar bar/diner in PA I didn't much care for it. I was really looking forward to it too. I probably put ketchup on it. Didn't much care for the bread in a a MacDonalds hamburger over too if I am honest. But I have had some of the best burgers ever in PA too so it all evens up. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 27 2010, 4:22 PM BST

Unless they've seen My Cousin Vinnie.

How is your cousin nowadays?