British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 2,018

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 26 2009, 5:39 PM BST

My wedding cost me roughly $300 and was very nice. We rented a pavilion by our local lake and everyone brought a dish to pass. Yes, kind of cheap, kind of tacky maybe, but we were in the process of buying a house and I had just found out I was pregnant 5 days before the wedding, so I was thrilled that it cost so little.

Ha! Looks like both my points were well made then :D

Don't get a swelled head. It was a one in a million shot that someone on here would agree with you. :D

:D

Teary

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 26 2009, 5:31 PM BST

Are marriage licences that expensive in Canada/Finland/France, Curt? If two people really want to get married then I don't think they usually let economics stand in their way.

Large family + lots of friends = no cheap way out.
Court room wedding was out of the question, our families would have been pretty upset (big Catholic families), basically they all had to have the option of coming.
The cheapest we could have got away with would have been ten to fifteen thousand. That's nothing fancy, no fairy tail just a church and a dinner afterwards. That was too rich for our blood so we went with option B -> destination wedding. Everyone was invited, but there were no obligations to go. We got the lowest rate we could for everyone and in total spent (with air fair, the wedding package and all) just over 5000.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 26 2009, 5:34 PM BST

Here everyone is expected to have a fairy tale wedding. Maybe that's what Curt's talking about. My best friend's wedding cost roughly $30,000 when all was said and done.

One word: VEGAS Cool

Quote: Curt @ September 26 2009, 5:25 PM BST

Yea I know, I was just pointing out that some people like myself do want to get married but they just can't afford it. Maybe its just what you're used to. Both my wife and I's parents are still happily married and the majority of my family and friends family are still together.

Ah. Yeah, all mine are too. :)
If I did ever get married, I wouldn't want it to cost like £50, but I certainly wouldn't spend loads of money on it. It's such a waste! You could spend that money on a house or something meaningful.

But for the bride everyone knows it's the best day of her life. FACT.

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 6:00 PM BST

I dunno.... has got a long way to go to beat super discount sunday...

Not really. I was sick to my stomach with all day morning sickness, my family and his family hate each other, my new husband was drunker than a wino with money in his pocket, and my dad had driven off with my wedding dress in his car to get more ice for the beer. Not a great way to start things off. :(

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ September 26 2009, 6:01 PM BST

I dunno.... has got a long way to go to beat super discount sunday...

So that's where you were while I stood crying at the alter Angry

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 26 2009, 6:02 PM BST

Not really. I was sick to my stomach with all day morning sickness, my family and his family hate each other, my new husband was drunker than a wino with money in his pocket, and my dad had driven off with my wedding dress in his car to get more ice for the beer. Not a great way to start things off. :(

Ohhhh dear! Did it work out well in the end though?

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 6:05 PM BST

I came back for the buffet, didn't I?

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 6:00 PM BST

Pffff. :)
Most stressful and embarrassing day I reckon. For everyone involved!

Quote: zooo @ September 26 2009, 5:57 PM BST

If I did ever get married, I wouldn't want it to cost like £50, but I certainly wouldn't spend loads of money on it. It's such a waste! You could spend that money on a house or something meaningful.

My daughter always said the same thing. Even after the announcement of her engagement, she swore it would be a small, thrifty affair.

A week ago she told me the wedding photographer was going to cost $2500.

I always find it sad/amusing it when you see a wedding dress advertised as having " only been worn three times"!!
What a lucky dress that must be!!

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 6:05 PM BST

Ohhhh dear! Did it work out well in the end though?

Oh Ian, you'd have to read my past posts... :(