British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 2,017

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 26 2009, 3:30 PM BST

Well it shouldn't really matter where it was from.

To be fair that's what she said after a bit of light ribbing!

Why did you want to be engaged? I see this happen in a lot of late teens, early twenties getting engaged but with no real intention of getting married. Maybe I jumped into it too soon! I'm not one to wait around...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 26 2009, 3:33 PM BST

Why did you want to be engaged? I see this happen in a lot of late teens, early twenties getting engaged but with no real intention of getting married. Maybe I jumped into it too soon! I'm not one to wait around...

We just saw it as a step further really. We moved in together shortly after that, so it was kind of like a trial marriage. Thankful it wasn't a real one cos it didn't work out in the end.

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 3:35 PM BST

We just saw it as a step further really. We moved in together shortly after that, so it was kind of like a trial marriage. Thankful it wasn't a real one cos it didn't work out in the end.

But did you think you'd actually get married and spend the rest of your lives together? Most of the couples I've known who have got engaged have either split up or stayed together for 20+ years and never married!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 26 2009, 3:40 PM BST

But did you think you'd actually get married and spend the rest of your lives together? Most of the couples I've known who have got engaged have either split up or stayed together for 20+ years and never married!

In truth I don't really know. I think we just wanted to be something a bit more than girlfriend/boyfriend, but marriage was too big a step. It was a coward's marriage I suppose :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 26 2009, 3:33 PM BST

My older sister has been with her boyfriend for over 10 years they got together when they were 19 and they've never even considered marriage.

Even though they have 3 kids...

My family are godless bastards...

I think it's because at some point they are so used to their current situation I guess, must be the same for many young couples too.

With my wife we've been friends for 9 years, dating for 7 we were engaged for 3 years before getting married a few months ago. We wanted to get married but couldn't afford to do it, both being in University and broke.
I also wanted to surprise her and though that waiting any longer would diminish the romantic gesture.

Some people just don't want to get married, nothing to do with commitment issues. Like Ricky Gervais, he's been with his girlfriend for about 25 years I think. And it's not like they can't afford it or something. :)

I'm personally not bother about marriage. I certainly know I couldn't move in or get a engaged to a guy I've known less than two years. It's just so soon!

http://www.empireonline.com/crypticcanvas/default.asp

Find all 50 movies hidden within the picture. You can save your progress so far, and go back later, by entering your email.

Quote: zooo @ September 26 2009, 4:59 PM BST

Some people just don't want to get married, nothing to do with commitment issues. Like Ricky Gervais, he's been with his girlfriend for about 25 years I think. And it's not like they can't afford it or something. :)

Yea I know, I was just pointing out that some people like myself do want to get married but they just can't afford it. Maybe its just what you're used to. Both my wife and I's parents are still happily married and the majority of my family and friends family are still together.

Quote: Curt @ September 26 2009, 5:25 PM BST

Yea I know, I was just pointing out that some people like myself do want to get married but they just can't afford it. Maybe its just what you're used to.

Are marriage licences that expensive in Canada/Finland/France, Curt? If two people really want to get married then I don't think they usually let economics stand in their way.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 26 2009, 5:31 PM BST

Are marriage licences that expensive in Canada/Finland/France, Curt? If two people really want to get married then I don't think they usually let economics stand in their way.

Here everyone is expected to have a fairy tale wedding. Maybe that's what Curt's talking about. My best friend's wedding cost roughly $30,000 when all was said and done.

Plus you have to consider getting a house and the possiblity of children etc.

My wedding cost me roughly $300 and was very nice. We rented a pavilion by our local lake and everyone brought a dish to pass. Yes, kind of cheap, kind of tacky maybe, but we were in the process of buying a house and I had just found out I was pregnant 5 days before the wedding, so I was thrilled that it cost so little.