British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 2,016

I wouldn't know - don't believe in engagements.

But I know some propose ask first and get a ring together later.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 26 2009, 11:58 AM BST

HELP PLEASE :)

Bit of knowledge required for a script I'm working on...

I myself have never had the joy of buying an engagement ring. However, I am sure there are people on here that have. My question is - is there any allowance made for the fact that a marriage proposal might be turned down? Can you get your money back from the jewellers on a ring that has been refused? Is there a deposit system or something? Any help much appreciated, thanks. ;)

Well, wouldn't it just be like anything else you buy? Or not? You've got a receipt so you can take it back??

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 26 2009, 12:15 PM BST

Well, wouldn't it just be like anything else you buy? Or not? You've got a receipt so you can take it back??

You can't take back knickers or earrings for pierced ears. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 26 2009, 12:16 PM BST

You can't take back knickers or earrings for pierced ears. :)

Nipple rings . . ?

But hopefully you're not putting a ring up your jacksy or anything so I would have thought it would be ok. :)

People would have to return them if the woman didn't like the ring, or they'd have to get it resized and stuff. I don't know much about it though.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 26 2009, 11:58 AM BST

HELP PLEASE :)

Bit of knowledge required for a script I'm working on...

I myself have never had the joy of buying an engagement ring. However, I am sure there are people on here that have. My question is - is there any allowance made for the fact that a marriage proposal might be turned down? Can you get your money back from the jewellers on a ring that has been refused? Is there a deposit system or something? Any help much appreciated, thanks. ;)

Wouldn't it be purely up to the jeweller? Seeing as it's your character, you can set it up to be arranged that way.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 26 2009, 11:55 AM BST

And that's a bad thing....? Huh?

:D

A shmoke in the park is awesome!

As it's not faulty in any way, I wouldn't imagine you could just take it back if you were turned down.

Just keep it for the next one surely. ;)

But, as Lee says, you're writing it so you could make it a small shop with a sympathetic owner.

They won't if it's had to be altered.

This may interest you Tim. I have seen sites where women and men sell jewellery from broken relationships!

Most places over here don't take back rings of that type. They always encourage you to have them engraved or sized, so as to fit "the little lady" just right when you pop the question. Once the ring has been altered, it is most definitely not returnable. My engagement ring could have been returned, since it wasn't a traditional engagement type ring.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ September 26 2009, 1:07 PM BST

This may interest you Tim. I have seen sites where women and men sell jewellery from broken relationships!

That's very useful, Roo. The character actually ends-up giving the ring to another woman by way of payment (not for sex!), but actually that has turned-up another little joke idea. :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. May not have screen time for the jewellers scene, but have some ideas for getting a few gags out of the idea. :)

Just have him/her do what I did and get one for a tenner from Elizabeth Duke, then it doesn't really matter if he/she's turned down.

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 2:47 PM BST

Just have him/her do what I did and get one for a tenner from Elizabeth Duke, then it doesn't really matter if he/she's turned down.

EVIL!

The tenner bit I don't mind but ELIZABETH DUKE?!

Is Elizabeth Duke synonymous for "junk?"

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ September 26 2009, 2:56 PM BST

EVIL!

The tenner bit I don't mind but ELIZABETH DUKE?!

Laughing out loud
I was a poor poor student at the time but I just wanted us to be engaged! I didn't know about Elizabeth Duke, didn't know it had this reputation :( Didn't know till she said quietly through a forced smile: Ahhhh, Elizabeth Duke!

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 26 2009, 3:20 PM BST

Is Elizabeth Duke synonymous for "junk?"

It's the jewellery department of a high street catalogue store. I've bought many a watch from there.

Quote: Moonstone @ September 26 2009, 3:29 PM BST

Laughing out loud
I was a poor poor student at the time but I just wanted us to be engaged! I didn't know about Elizabeth Duke, didn't know it had this reputation :( Didn't know till she said quietly through a forced smile: Ah, Elizabeth Duke!

Well it shouldn't really matter where it was from.