British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,066

Well we certainly want to read it!

It sucks, so I'm not sure if it's a better idea to just PM it on request (or death wish), or to post it here. If the latter, prepare yourself for some very pretentious rubbish.

GET IN!!!! Job interview next week!

:D Yaaay! *pats Gav on back, and hands him a beer*

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ August 27 2008, 5:55 PM BST

:D Yaaay! *pats Gav on back, and hands him a beer*

That you Scat, Sometimes I amaze even myself.

Anything exciting Gav?

Well done, Gav!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ August 27 2008, 5:53 PM BST

It sucks, so I'm not sure if it's a better idea to just PM it on request (or death wish), or to post it here. If the latter, prepare yourself for some very pretentious rubbish.

Post it up here, then we can all help you with it!

(if you even want any help, that is!)

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 27 2008, 5:57 PM BST

Anything exciting Gav?

Nope public sector though so good pay 25 miles closer to my shit house, and its next door to my local.

Quote: zooo @ August 27 2008, 5:58 PM BST

Post it up here, then we can all help you with it!

(if you even want any help, that is!)

It's very long, you will all make fun, but here goes!

"The best moments in reading are when you come across something — a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things — that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." There have been so many moments, in poetry, in books, in plays, when I've needed nothing more than for a connection; be it one which is light-hearted, lovelorn, or longing - and literature is honestly something which I believe has shaped how I see the world, how I have come to know who I am, and how I interpret the lives around me. Studying English Literature at university is more than an academic exploit. It would truly be a way for me to connect with not only myself through literature, but also to share and develop those connections with others students.

Literature has always been something special to me, but my Secondary school career in particular has heightened my insight. It has shown me the infinite possibilities for interpretation available in every thought and expression through the written word; and how it is not just the author, or the contextual audience, but every pair of eyes which changes the light thrown on any piece. Not only this, but belonging to the debating society at school for the past three years, and mentoring year seven students has shown me the persuasion and rapport that language can invoke. The former also presented me with the opportunity to explore both conviction and alteration of viewpoints; as well as dedication to a team for the pursuit of a cause. Furthermore, both of these experiences have shown me the importance of communication, and how the power of expression can not only connect one person to another, but how it can also reveal to that person the extent to which their own lives have affected them. My work experience at a nursery demonstrated to me most the simple joy that young children get from reading, and from being read to, and made me realise how grateful I was to have the advantage of being able to study literature in depth. On the facet regarding to writing, founding and editing the school magazine from year nine upwards has shown me how to write effectively myself. Participation as a guide at Open Evenings has also shown me how quickly opinions can be formed by what people read, or hear, and to be able to study and further understand the power of words is something special to me - it's something which appeals to me on a real, and elevated level.

Outside of school, the theatre and ‘indie' music are my biggest interests, besides reading. My favourite plays are ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream' for its metaphysical, dreamily satirical qualities; and ‘The History Boys' for its unashamed and poignant view of academic life choices. Music, on the other hand, is one of my favourite ways to relieve stress by going to listen to my favourite bands live. Reading, has, however, re-emerged as a great part of my life in the past few years; with my AS level work on F. Scott Fitzgerald introducing me to one of my favourite authors; and with my GCSEs showing me the power of poetry, particularly that of Simon Armitage.

Attending King's College Summer School demonstrated for me how many opportunities university presents academically and socially; and the ability for me to continue my education, and particularly my studies of English Literature, presents for me a chance to merge my scholarly and public selves. Up until a few years ago, reading had been an escape, but now I see it as a gateway into the world ahead of me.

That's awesome Scats. I can't even remember what I wrote in mine, but I was turned down by my favourites.

Congrats anyway Gav. Always nice having not to travel too far.

Quote: Gavin @ August 27 2008, 5:55 PM BST

GET IN!!!! Job interview next week!

Nice one! :)

Quote: EllieJP @ August 27 2008, 6:00 PM BST

That's awesome Scats. I can't even remember what I wrote in mine, but I was turned down by my favourites.

Is it really ok? :( I don't think it focusses enough on my reading interests, but I don't know how to include them without just saying them outright in a list.

woop woop Scats Very Swish.

I think mine was a paragraph

"It's either this or the dole" was the general theme of it.

We've written so many joke ones, that it seems so trivial to do them properly now!