British Comedy Guide

What are you listening to now? Page 857

Heh. He's not as good looking as Eddie. But he does have a slightly better singing voice. ;)

I always thought Otis Redding looked more like Vic Reeves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXeyhLXs-NM&feature=related

:| Don't get the 'raping' element? what do you mean?

Quote: dellas @ September 26 2011, 9:49 AM BST

:| Don't get the 'raping' element? what do you mean?

I think he's complaining about these looters who take a brilliant song, gibber all over it and claim royalties.

Quote: Chappers @ September 26 2011, 10:04 PM BST

I think he's complaining about these looters who take a brilliant song, gibber all over it and claim royalties.

Wouldn't pillaging have been more appropriate?

"edit" thinking about it tho', it's not very Gangsta, whatever that crap means.

Quote: Chappers @ September 26 2011, 10:04 PM BST

Spot on.

Eh? Are you saying rape and pillage? How come that is comedy?

What you talkin' bout, dellas? Eh?

For god's sake, it's a metaphor. (Or a simile, or whatever.)

:) Glad you know the difference. For gods sake.

Unfortunately the majority of sampling that's heard on TV and radio is pretty basic and shit. There are other producers out there who "chop" segments of music up into tiny pieces and rearrange them to create mind-blowing music. In fact some of them do it so well that the samples they use are never recognised.

I used to dabble in a bit of bedroom production myself, and I remember, on one unfinished song I made, I sampled 15 different records. I used to use literally every kind of record there was, from Funk to Classical. My favourite records to use were Jazz and Prog Rock, because those styles of music are constantly changing. I used to also use really random stuff like old instructional Aerobics records and comedy records. I remember once finding a really good vocal sample of comedian John Bird (from Rory Bremner's T.V. show) impersonating Idi Amin. I used to spend hours crouched down digging through record crates in used record shops.

One time I sampled a snippet of this psychedelic gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQcDnFFMSk

My neighbour having very very loud se.. can't say it, bedroom recreation. It's unusually early, but then we're not talking at the mo, and well, she likes to tease me. What can one do? I'm putting the washing machine on. Sigh. Reaches for bottle. :(

:) Tee Hee. Now listening to 'any questions' very angry audience.

Marc Bolan and Cilla Black - Lifes a Gas