British Comedy Guide

What are you listening to now? Page 570

I really like that Crash Test Dummies album with Mmm Mmm Mmm on. It's a great album in the tradition of XTC, with interesting and funny lyrics. Don't think they've done much of note since, but that album stands the test of time.

I got Dido on in the office..... curse radio 1

The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday

Gomez - Get Miles

The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection

Was just listening to 6 Music and the DJ just stopped a song in midstream and apologized to anyone listening with children because the lyrics included "we don't give a f**k." I assume there's a UK rule/standard about airing profanity during certain hours?

The woman announcing the news just pronounced the mitten-shaped state of my forefathers as "Mitchigan." :D

Quote: chipolata @ April 8 2009, 2:27 PM BST

I really like that Crash Test Dummies album with Mmm Mmm Mmm on.

God Shuffled His Feet.

Quote: DaButt @ April 10 2009, 8:26 PM BST

Was just listening to 6 Music and the DJ just stopped a song in midstream and apologized to anyone listening with children because the lyrics included "we don't give a f**k." I assume there's a UK rule/standard about airing profanity during certain hours?

No particular rule, but there are guidelines relating to ... something. I can't remember what I was going to say. But uh. Yeah. If people complain, they could be fined.

Quote: Aaron @ April 10 2009, 8:35 PM BST

No particular rule, but there are guidelines relating to ... something. I can't remember what I was going to say. But uh. Yeah. If people complain, they could be fined.

Any idea about the hours for TV broadcasts? Just curious because I see/hear an awful lot of it on UK shows which air, I assume, during the early evening.

Here in the U.S. I believe the "safe harbor" (stupid name) period is between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Again, I don't think there are specific rules prohibiting any particular language, but the convention is that anything rude or otherwise risqué should not be broadcast before the watershed (21:00). What is deemed to be "risqué" however, is a different matter entirely. Fines are possible, but unless it's particularly bad, would require a substantial number of complaints to be made.

Watershed and safe harbors - why are all the dirty things related to water?

Just double checked, and although I've explained it really badly, what I meant to say was correct:

There's programme codes relating to content which can and cannot be broadcast. However, it's all pretty generalised; there is no list of banned words, for example. Channels can be fined, but it's very much dependent on the context in which the objectionable material was shown. For example, a topless woman on the kids' TV show Blue Peter wouldn't go down too well (no pun intended), but if a woman streaked at a major public event, then that could be shown on the news less than an hour later with little or no problems.

So as I say, there are rules but they're not specific so it's mostly down to common sense and convention.

Pram Town by Darren Hayman.

Listening to The Who - Live at Leeds. I'm outside with a cold beer and I hope my neighbors can appreciate the album's greatness. Lovey

I've been meaning to listen to that for years! Still not heard it.

Edit:

Now listening to it on Spotify.

Spotify. Cool

Quote: Ben @ April 11 2009, 12:46 AM BST

Now listening to it on Spotify.

There are about a zillion different versions out there: the original with crackling noises, the 1990s expanded/remastered version and a later complete version. It bakes with the heat of a thousand suns.