British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 56

Quote: Declan @ March 13 2011, 12:13 PM GMT

Ok, here's an example for you.

I've just read the intro for a script.

"A man in his fiftys sits at a bar."

Come on then, what would you do?

It doesn't mean I'm going to discard the script straight away, but it's giving me a reason to dislike it from the start. I really want to put it in the Yes pile, but I'm also looking for reasons to bin it. And almost as importantly, I'm looking for reasons to work with the author and also reasons not to.

At the risk of being lynched - I totally understand the thinking on this. I'm dyslexic, but also a qualified journalist now running my own copywriting and proofreading company. Feel free to make of that whatever you like....!
Bad grammar or misspelling can have a real negative effect on a reader's impression of whatever it is they are reading.
I know people who have walked out of restaurants because the menu has spelling errors, the thinking being that if they haven't taken the care to check the spelling then they might not take care in the preparation of the food either. It can give people a wrong impression, perhaps unfairly. And if I had to read over 1100 scripts I would get wound up by simple mistakes too.
I'm 100% confident that my script was grammatically perfect......unfortunately I am nowhere near as sure that it was funny but you can't have it all!

I too have a day job where reading many, many compositions is involved. After the first three hundred badly spelled, grammatically incorrect and certainly not proofed efforts, one does start to lose the will to live. It hurts more because I do run through the basic requirements prior to submission and even give them a slide headed with the legend - Prof Red you Wok - but they don't. However, when one comes in that obviously has been run through the spellchecker, and a UK version at that, it is like shaft of celestial light breaking through the clouds. Sadly it is usually ruined by being a useless argument.

Last lap guys. You can do it.

I'm not too fussed about Grammer and Spelling as I got my daughter to check it... Opps.

I am concerned about funny though.

I have found over the last two weeks with Sitcommission and Newsjack that I have not been able to concentrate on other, more long term things. No matter what after this week, the brain gets a rest.

Re zombie sitcoms and titles did anyone come up with WALKING THE DEAD about a team of detectives who hunt em?

<deletes obvious follow-up>

Dan

Quote: Marc P @ March 13 2011, 6:57 PM GMT

Re zombie sitcoms and titles did anyone come up with WALKING THE DEAD about a team of detectives who hunt em?

Sounds like a team of people who are paid to take zombies out on a pleasant stroll three times a day before returning them to their zombie kennels.

My zombiecom was eponymously titled after the main character. Not overly imaginative but it's clever, in a way.

Yes, you'll be able to read Penge's The Adventures of Mike the Zombie later.

But is it as good as my brilliant sketch "The Wanking Dead?"

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/19458#P700268

Out of the two, Sooty, yours comes out on top.

Yay me !
I hope (sarcasm detector on the blink)

Quote: Toffee @ February 17 2011, 9:33 PM GMT

A quick question. In my script I have the characters watching a television and commenting about what is on. How could I do this on a stage? The issue of not actually having a television shouldn't be to big of a problem as the fact they're watching a television is made obvious. But will talking about what's on the screen (when nothing actually is as there is no telly) be a problem?

why don't you work it out for yourself? If you're a writer then maybe you shoud write?

Quote: alabastercodify @ February 18 2011, 6:38 PM GMT

hi hate to keep asking things like this but I was wondering:

is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

is it libellous for a character to claim he used to go out shooting natives in Borneo with prince phillip?

is it possible to have a swear word in the title of the show ?

is it alright to have a character who claims to be Jesus even if he isnt really Jesus at all ?

thats all I can think of right now. thanks

I think if you claim a character is Jesus then he should be,

Quote: Declan @ February 18 2011, 6:52 PM GMT

Q: is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

A: Yes, if you make it.

Q: is it libellous for a character to claim he used to go out shooting natives in Borneo with prince phillip?

A: I think this is one of those things that depends upon context.

Q: is it possible to have a swear word in the title of the show ?

A: What time and channel will you be pitching this at? And are you expecting Radio Times to be listing it?

Q: is it alright to have a character who claims to be Jesus even if he isnt really Jesus at all ?

A: You mean he isn't actually Jesus? Blimey. I thought all people who claimed to be Jesus were Jesus. I think this is ok, just don't make him say things like 'I'm a bit gay'. Stewart Lee's been there and done that.

No problem. While you're worrying about these things, don't forget to make your sitcom so unflappably brilliant that we don't care about the above and will be able to work through them if we have to.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ February 18 2011, 6:52 PM GMT

Q: is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

A: Yes, if you make it.

Q: is it libellous for a character to claim he used to go out shooting natives in Borneo with prince phillip?

A: I think this is one of those things that depends upon context.

Q: is it possible to have a swear word in the title of the show ?

A: What time and channel will you be pitching this at? And are you expecting Radio Times to be listing it?

Q: is it alright to have a character who claims to be Jesus even if he isnt really Jesus at all ?

A: You mean he isn't actually Jesus? Blimey. I thought all people who claimed to be Jesus were Jesus. I think this is ok, just don't make him say things like 'I'm a bit gay'. Stewart Lee's been there and done that.

No problem. While you're worrying about these things, don't forget to make your sitcom so unflappably brilliant that we don't care about the above and will be able to work through them if we have to.

Cheers, Declan

you are phenomenally tolerant. Why don't people (i) read the rules (2) use your intelligence?

Do we still get the results tomorrow? should we assume no news is bad news?

We're attempting to sort it so that everyone gets a yes or no email at the same time, and we'll put the longlist up here at 23.59 tomorrow night.

I am gravely disappointed that (i) and (2) were not followed by a (C).

It took me half an hour to get that but it was worth it.

YOU'RE disappointed?!? I thought my idea "Jesus and the Bastard Fishfinger Hunter" was a guaranteed winner. Guess there's no original ideas any more.....