British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 116

Congrats to the eight that got through. Haven't been on in a while due to finally getting myself a job and my writing has taken a serious back seat since.

What file do we upload our scripts to for the sitcom trails?

Quote: Mooky @ April 29 2011, 12:26 AM BST

What file do we upload our scripts to for the sitcom trails?

You're on the wrong forum, Mooky. This is for the Sitcom Mission. Go to forums/writing opportunities/Sitcom Trials

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2011, 10:30 PM BST

Was that with the televised sitcom trials or another team written show?

I got one script into the televised Sitcom Trials (Go Wild In The Country, under the pseudonym Jane Simon, see it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_dIv6UDMU ). Because I was the presenter of the show, and it involved the viewers at home voting by phone, it was deemed wrong or conflicting that my writing should be included.

The earlier radio pilots made by the BBC were co-written (by myself and Ken Elkes) with team-writers' names also on the scripts and given small payments (can't remember how small, but you don't get much for contributing one line to an unbroadcast pilot). These were Come Together, a sitcom starring Ben Miller, Arabella Weier, Melanie Hudson and Kevin Eldon (not online yet, I must do something about that) and Meanwhile, a sketch show starring Ronnie Ancona & Geoffrey McGivern, mostly written by me, with scripts by half a dozen other writers (also not online).

Other noteable team written sitcoms developed by the Sitcom Trials group between 2000 and 2006 were The Lavender Millbank Mob, a Downing Street spin-doctors comedy by Richard Johnson (one episode of which, all by Rich, made the TV show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YpjztU5WVU ) and Can We Get Les Dennis, a behind-the-scenes TV-world comedy by Roland Moore, the pilot for which also made the TV series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBa0Rcf0_0c

And I've just realised this is the Mission's thread not the Trials. See you all over there.

Kev F
The Sitcom Trials

Quote: simon wright @ April 27 2011, 3:55 PM BST

The CDs were posted this morning. Better than mp3 quality by the way.

Simon

Eek, no sign of mine in the morning post. And there's no post now 'till Tuesday!

Don't suppose I could be sent a link to an uploaded copy I can download?

I received my CD this morning. The critique is spot on and excellent even though I made the biggest mistake in sending the third episode! The characters were established in the first one and of course by the third ep, there is no need to do any exposition as they are by then well established as to who they are and what they do. So it is no wonder, really, that the actors didn't think much of any of them nor the story line.
Well worth the cost of it. :)

Got ours today and it's cool!

It reads more or less as we envisaged it, which is great - but it obviously didn't set the world on fire which suggests the content just wasn't funny enough, which isn't so good. Still, we have a starting point for improvements.

Thanks Si and Dec. Please thank the actors for us too - some of the suggestions were very useful.

Cheers

Jim

Quote: Mr Ashdown @ April 30 2011, 9:21 AM BST

Eek, no sign of mine in the morning post. And there's no post now 'till Tuesday!

Don't suppose I could be sent a link to an uploaded copy I can download?

I'll ask Declan to forward an mp3 to you. It'll be just the reading (no feedback) and is compressed for emailing (ie poor quality compared to the CD).

Really glad that the feedback so far is positive on the CDs. I'll send feedback forms out today to people to give us further details.

And there's still (a lot of) spaces on our Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop this Saturday May 7 in Central London. Go on, treat yourself (and us!). Grab a couple of mates and it's a tad over £30 each.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Cheers, Declan

Quote: bushbaby @ April 30 2011, 11:12 AM BST

The actors didn't think much of any of them nor the story line.

Can I give a call about some double glazing BB?

:)

Quote: bushbaby @ April 30 2011, 11:12 AM BST

The actors didn't think much of any of them nor the story line.

Quote: Marc P @ May 1 2011, 10:21 AM BST

Can I give a call about some double glazing BB?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

;)

Any ideas as to which sitcoms will be on what nights in June/July just yet? Rich : )

Hi Simon, Declan and fellow scripters.
I've just got back from a Bank Holiday break to find the MP3 recording awaiting me. Wow! If anyone is thinking of having a reading done, I would really recommend it. The opportunity to have a recording of your script acted out and critiqued has to be a really worthwhile investment.
There's 45 minutes of recording on the MP3 disc so instead of sending one episode, I sent two in for reading because they were already written and I thought it helped to give a better sense of how the characters interacted with each other. Each episode was acted aloud, timed and the length relayed back - the first one came in at spot on as fifteen minutes while the other was five minutes too short because I had underestimated the speed of rapport between the character dialogues (something I'll be more aware of next time) The actors were really good, especially the young woman who portrayed her character exactly as I had envisaged her to be.
After the readings, the actors and director then spent a good twenty minutes discussing the scripts in detail between themselves. Their feedback was invaluable. They each talked about how they found their character came over in my writing, where they thought the character was going in each episode and how it might be improved upon. I learned so much from their opinions and suggestions, and will definitely use these in my future writing.
When they mentioned that my scripts might possibly be better directed towards children's TV, I was actually pleased because I think in my heart of hearts, as a primary school teacher, this is exactly what I really want to do. My sit-commission entry was enjoyable to write but hard going at times. I'm not a cutting edge writer. The readers are right. My true sense of humour lies in the visual comedy that is more associated with children's entertainment.
The problem is finding an opportunity or opening to do this. If only there was a Declan and Simon Mission for children's TV.
Anyway, for all you budding script writers who can't make the workshops, give this a go. It's too good an opportunity to miss.

To celebrate Julie Bower's utterly brilliant 49 Cedar Street being broadcast on Radio 4 this Thursday at 11pm, here are interviews we did with Julie and her producer Colin Anderson:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/27/

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/28/