British Comedy Guide

Annually Retentive Page 2

This is one of those shows which I find watchable but still disappointing. I really liked Rob Brydon in Marion and Geoff, Human Remains and Director's Commentary but this isn't up to that standard.

Pity he doesn't do The Keith Barrat show again.

I saw him as Keith Barrat when he came to Rhyl (where I live). I qued up to get his autograph and when I came to him, I asked him to sign my program (To my little smasher David) and then ... my chest. I unbuttoned my shirt and with a mock-shaky hand he signed it and turned to the others in the line and said, "You heard him, he did ask!" I thanked him and said I knew all about the restraining order but I just had to come!

Quote: Walker @ May 24, 2007, 7:06 PM

I haven't seen any of the second series yet, but i liked the first. I thought it was original in combining a sitcom with a panel show, and made it seem like "backstage" stuff.

Ditto.

Quote: Badge @ May 25, 2007, 12:09 AM

Seriously, my only problem with it is that it relies on you being convinced that Rob (aka Robin) Brydon is a complete twat.

You think? Can't say I found that at all. More frustrated by those around him.

I've only seen the first episode from the second series and it was pretty good. Sharon Horgan grated on me in the first series – I really hate those 'guy fancies girl, girl thinks he's a twat' scenarios. Why not make the guy a complete twat and have the girl really fancy him? That's truer to life :)

The problem for me is that it's just Partridge under another name. Replace Brydon with Partridge and you wouldn't have to change a line. Which is spooky.

Why can't we just have more Partridge?

I thought it was original in combining a sitcom with a panel show, and made it seem like "backstage" stuff.

Although it does feel original, hasn't it already been done in The Larry Sanders Show?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 26, 2007, 6:19 AM
I've only seen the first episode from the second series and it was pretty good. Sharon Horgan grated on me in the first series – I really hate those 'guy fancies girl, girl thinks he's a twat' scenarios. Why not make the guy a complete twat and have the girl really fancy him? That's truer to life :)

It's amazing isn't it... just how many 'scenes' are played out over and over again? Seemingly 'gainst real life?

I guess it's just how an audience prefers it. Although that's another debate entirely...

I don't hate Annually Retentive, i just can't seem to care about it. Sometimes it feels like you're watching Memento the right way round! It has no structure and that's what let's it down. I like Brydon but i think he's a better performer than writer. If you look at his best stuff it's been when he's been writing with someone else, (Marion and Geoff, Hugo Blick. Human Remains, Julia Davis) but as an actor i simply can't fault him.

It's rubbish because the format has been done so much better by Larry Sanders and the character has been done so much better by Alan Patridge.

A-ha to that!

(I'm Alan Partridge, is my favourite sitcom)

They actually do film a whole quiz show as if it's real, and then edit it into the rest of the show.
When they have good guests on (like Richard Herring) I do sometimes wish that they would show the whole quiz instead.

I've read that the game show is mostly scripted but they sometimes let their contestants improvise some parts.

That what all game shows are like

Quote: ajp29 @ May 28, 2007, 6:30 AM

That what all game shows are like

*Gasp!* What?

Nooooooooo...

Did anyone watch the most recent one? (Climbing wall episode)
It was fantastic!
Sort of came together a bit.

Quote: zooo @ June 2, 2007, 12:51 PM

Did anyone watch the most recent one? (Climbing wall episode)
It was fantastic!
Sort of came together a bit.

Yeah... I loved it. I like the fact that there is now some development of the relationship between his character and the show's producer. It's a shame that perhaps it's been too subtle (or slow) for a 6-part series.