British Comedy Guide

Annually Retentive

Just come across this sitcom online. I watched the first five minutes of one of the episodes (episode five I think). I think the comedy in it is quite similar to "The Office", and I quite enjoyed the part I watched online, except for the gameshow parts, which I didn't think were good.

Just wondering what the general view of the show is.

Awful I think. Just a blatant rip off of The Larry Sanders Show, but done totally wrong. Full to the brim of the new 'in comedy thing' which is 'awkward/uncomfortable' humour. Let's not write proper jokes, lets just say risky things in front of a gay person, a fat person etc etc.

Yeah rubbish I think. Next... :)

I really like it. The first episode of the second series was absolutely brilliant.

Dan

I watched the first couple of episodes when it first started. I wasn't too impressed.

Other shows have done the same thing better.

Like I mentioned in another thread, Rob Brydon is a good performer, but nothings really interested me like Marion & Geoff did.

'awkward/uncomfortable' humour

That's what I meant by the office style comedy.

I like the sitcom-style bit, but I think it would be a much better show if they took out most of the game-show bits. Although, I know that's the point of the show, they could use much less of it in my opinion

I agree, they talk about it in production and then they show it, same joke twice.

Its the same joke every weak. Brydon is prejudiced against something, acts like a gimp and then gets pucished for it. It needs better writers I think and they are criminally under using some of the cast, the writers in particular who are comedians so therefore are funny.

Am I right in thinking that it's similar to Extras, that they use different "celebrities" every show?

I was looking forward to the second outing of this show... but yep, it 'jams' on the same theme week after week. I'd like to see a development of Brydon's character... that is, the slow break down of a man self-obsessed... but it seems to rely on the cringe moments as its mainstay, with little or no plot movement.

It's a shame because it appears there is some decent talent invested in the show.

I haven't seen any of the second series yet, but i liked the first. I thought it was original in combining a sitcom with a panel show, and made it seem like "backstage" stuff.

I saw the first one, didn’t think much of it and gave up. Perhaps I should give it another go.

I think it's been improving as the episodes progress. Last week's one (in which Rob was trying to get something done about his receding hair line) pretty much hit the mark when it comes to the embarrasing, socially awkward, taking-the-mick-out-of-ones-self style of comedy which the UK does best.

I quite like it.
Always try to watch it. I think Brydon's quite brave. His character is absolutely horrible, while still being quite close to the truth.

And talking about your thin on top hair and bad skin can't be much fun!

I watched some of the first series but didn't think it was good enough to go out of my way to watch.

Also am I the only one who thinks Rob Brydon is extremely overrated? Loads of other comedians love him but I just don't get it.

I find myself watching most times. And whenever I watch, I enjoy. Seriously, my only problem with it is that it relies on you being convinced that Rob (aka Robin) Brydon is a complete twat. I like him too much!