British Comedy Guide

Twenty Twelve - Series 1 Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ March 14 2011, 1:30 PM GMT

Yes, thank you, Peter Pedantic.

That's not, strictly speaking, my actual name.

Quote: chipolata @ March 14 2011, 1:30 PM GMT

Yes, thank you, Peter Pedantic. The point is this has recurring characters in a continuing comedy narrative. So it's at least as much of a sitcom as say Episodes.

And from that description, at least as much of comedy drama as say Jonathan Creek. It's being marketed as CD, so is in that forum.

Quote: Aaron @ March 14 2011, 1:29 PM GMT

(I've never seen Operation Good Guys

You should, currently only £7.49 for series 1-3!

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ March 14 2011, 2:19 PM GMT

You should, currently only £7.49 for series 1-3!

Ooooh *treats himself*

I didn't like it at first. But I think I do now.

(Thrilling post, I know.)

This is definitely a sitcom.

Quote: Bunagaya @ March 11 2011, 6:27 AM GMT

A blatant rip-off of The Games.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/45014.html

A story appeared recently in The Sunday Times in London about the fact that the BBC is about to broadcast a program bearing marked conceptual similarities to The Games, a show we created in 1998.

It featured a good-looking bald man and Gina Riley, Bryan Dawe and Nicholas Bell. Two series, each of 13 episodes, were produced in the lead-up to the Sydney Olympics and it was, at that time, the highest rating comedy in the history of the national broadcaster, the ABC (all stand).

In 2006, shortly after London was awarded the 2012 Olympic Games and following approaches from several overseas producers interested in making their own versions of the show, we spoke with producer Rick McKenna who had experience in overseas markets with Kath and Kim. Rick McKenna travelled to London and met with BBC comedy head Jon Plowman.

At a later date Jon Plowman introduced Rick McKenna to writer John Morton with the prospect that perhaps we might consider John Morton as one of the writers on the project. John Morton was lent DVDs of The Games. At the time he acknowledged he had never previously seen nor heard of the show and was impressed and keenly interested.

After many phone conferences, meetings and almost four years of email exchanges, Mr Morton and Mr Plowman have now apparently made a satirical series for the BBC about the organising committee of the London Olympics (set to air next Monday March 14 on BBC4 in the UK), without our participation or permission.

In other words, it seems that in 2008/9 Morton had already had the idea he'd never heard of and was so excited by, and he was interested in obtaining episodes of The Games only so he could check out how someone had created his original idea in Australia, 12 years previously. We have suggested that once Mr Morton finds out that repressed memory is not an Olympic event, perhaps he could return the DVDs.

Ross Stevenson and John Clarke are awaiting their royalty cheques...

Interesting, although I must admit it's not the most original premise to make a show about the Olympics in the run up to the Olympics, but you do seem to have a very strong case. Have you spoken to lawyers?

Quote: zooo @ March 14 2011, 10:10 PM GMT

I didn't like it at first. But I think I do now.

(Thrilling post, I know.)

Twenty Twelve or Operation Good Guys?

Well, which thread are we in?

I FOLLOW THE RULES.

(Sometimes.)

Just flicked on to catch the last ten minutes, and I find David 'bloody' Tennant on TV, again.

You can't even see him. :)
Get over it.

Who is playing the voice we sometimes hear 'behind the camera'?
Not the narrator, obviously.

Writer/director John Morton, maybe?

I enjoyed it. And the bit where they tried to think of someone who makes you proud to be British (and couldn't) made me LOL.

Quite liked it, could do with a more obvious stand out character, perhaps, but it was enjoyable. 'Martin' from Green Wing was good.

Quote: zooo @ March 14 2011, 10:16 PM GMT

Well, which thread are we in?

I FOLLOW THE RULES.

Teacher's pet. :P

Gonna need to watch most of it again as I was interrupt with a phone call. Unimpressed