British Comedy Guide

Claire Zolkwer - New ITV Head of Comedy Page 8

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2010, 3:54 PM BST

I have never been sure whether to use "Yours sincerely" or "Yours faithfully" when concluding a messageboard post addressed to an anonymous individual. On one hand, tradition dictates that "Dear <name>" requires a "sincerely" valediction. On the other hand when the name in question is quite blatantly an off-colour nom-de-plume such as "Juan Kerr" there is an argument for using the colder and more distant "faithfully". Perhaps it would be safest overall to use "Your most humble and obedient servant".

You can only imagine how long I wrestled with that conundrum. I think I fell on the right side of etiquette in the end though.

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 26 2010, 3:57 PM BST

Actually Marc the powers that be like 'Miranda' and having done a bit of market research (not scientific) I have found that it appeals to women - it taps into something that men don't get - I'm not being sexist, my female freinds who have watched rather like it. It leaves me cold and I find her personality bloody annoying - but what do I know, I'm only a bloke....Horses for courses.

I've only seen one episode but I rather enjoyed the jolly great giant.

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 26 2010, 3:57 PM BST

Actually Marc the powers that be like 'Miranda' and having done a bit of market research (not scientific) I have found that it appeals to women - it taps into something that men don't get - I'm not being sexist, my female freinds who have watched rather like it. It leaves me cold and I find her personality bloody annoying - but what do I know, I'm only a bloke....Horses for courses.

Actually Roy I wasn't being flip, I really liked Miranda. I am very catholic in my comedy tastes! :)

Quote: David Bussell @ August 26 2010, 3:46 PM BST

Dear Juan,

Thank you for your prompt response. If you take the time to go back to the post in question (and indeed my response to it) you'll see that Tim's message is logically flawed. It's this breakdown in logic that I attribute to Marc P's justifiable confusion. Your reply to Marc P's post, to my mind, insinuated that Marc was unable to comprehend Tim's point through a fault of his own, which might (given context) be construed as unfriendly, mean spirited and dizzyingly ignorant.

In summation, you may want to refer back to Dale Carnegie's book of simple, yet powerful, messages about growth and personal development.

Yours sincerely,

David

David

You make the mistake of thinking that your interpretation of Tim's post is seen as correct by everyone - it isn't. In your world it obviously is.
Obvioulsy if I gave you a penny for your thoughts - I'd expect some change back, but also, looking on the bright side, you're never going to suffer a serious head injury.

It's commendable how you stand up for your chum Mark - I hear his test results were negative - his IQ test. Nice pair.

To conclude, they tell me you're highly educated - nice to see you're not letting it get in the way of your ignorance.

Your new best friend in all the world.

Juan Kerr

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 4:54 PM BST

To conclude, They tell me youre highly educated

Educated enough to know where an apostrophe belongs.

Since you're done raiding your little book of quirky, halfway-to-funny put downs I'll chip in. To my mind Tim's post included a logical contradiction that goes beyond opinion. It's a contradiction I don't see you refuting. I wonder why that is?

Oooooo...who's cage is rattled? Excuse me - but isn't this a comedy forum?

I know - grammar will be the death of me - you know ....

....wunce apon a tyme I cuddnt spel millyonner - and now... I iz wun!

Do I detect the smell of precious, burning comedy-forum post stalwart?

I was expecting a much better put down from you than a mere grammar correction.

You a teacher?

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 5:09 PM BST

Oooooo...who's cage is rattled? Excuse me - but isn't this a comedy forum?

I know - grammar will be the death of me - you know ....

....wunce apon a tyme I cuddnt spel millyonner - and now... I iz wun!

Do I detect the smell of precious, burning comedy-forum post stalwart?

I was expecting a much better put down from you than a mere grammar correction.

You a teacher?

I'm not here to put you down, Juan, just to make you look a bit silly.

Could we possibly try to steer back vaguely towards the topic in hand?

Quote: David Bussell @ August 26 2010, 5:11 PM BST

I'm not here to put you down, Juan, just to make you look a bit silly.

You should be an expert on looking silly David.

Nice web site too.

You a teacher?

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2010, 3:26 PM BST

@Tim Azure

Would be interested to learn about you as a writer, Tim. What kind of stuff do you write, where have you sent it, and how's it all going?

Thanks for your interest, Griff.

I'm basically a radio and theatre submitter really. I've subbed to Newsjack and things like that, Parsons and Naylor and so on, I tend to do smaller things, should do more. I try to write what I think of intelligent stuff with a bit of innuendo, only had a performance in a pub really in London, did go to readings. What about you?

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2010, 5:21 PM BST

Has anyone got a picture of Claire Zolkwer?

Nekid or Safe for work?

Best for your own sakes to keep in mind she's fairly likely to read this thread at some point. Everyone Googles their own names.

Lol, yes.
You can always count on Nil!

:D Wave

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2010, 5:28 PM BST

I was just trying to bring the thread back on topic. It was Nil who brought in the gutter element.

Grass. :P

That sooo fits your avatar.

Except the spelling is too good.

I'll leave your boring thread alone now. :P