British Comedy Guide

Claire Zolkwer - New ITV Head of Comedy Page 7

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 2:27 PM BST

But why isn't there a higher ratio of accepted mainstream comedy these days?

Why do commercial enterprises ignore stuff that would be considered by the masses as mainstream?

I suspect part of the reason is simply an academic intellectual approach overcoming common-sense and real commercial thinking - for the sake of it by decision makers who want to indulge themselves.

What on earth are you talking about??

I've noticed that you tend to say that a lot to people when you don't understand something

...is it your catch phrase? Angelic

'You 'avin a laugh?'

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 2:47 PM BST

I've noticed that you tend to say that a lot to people when you don't understand something

Maybe you'd like to explain Tim's point to us?

Firstly David thanks for the mature request to explain.

Have you read 'How to win Friends and Influence people'? I don't mind replying to courteous questions such as yours.

Some posters obviously have better people skills than others. However......

Well actually I was endorsing the virtues of 'mainstream' comedy as opposed to Tim's preference for edgier stuff - that probably doesn't appeal to the masses - but may appeal to some controllers' egos.

So...I totally disagree with Tim.

The bottom line is: Mainstream isn't trendy and the Execs want to be trendy - none of them want to walk into Groucho's and say they commisioned "Terry and June" or such like.

Up until "Popstars" started, mainstream entertainment shows were dead - then somebody found a way of 'updating' them and now we are awash with them from 'X Factor' to 'Strictly'. They are trendy. Is there a way one can do that with mainstream scripted comedy? I believe that studio based comedy could make a comeback - haven't a clue how and with what but.......who knows.

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 26 2010, 2:56 PM BST

The bottom line is: Mainstream isn't trendy and the Execs want to be trendy - none of them want to walk into Groucho's and say they commisioned "Terry and June" or such like.

Up until "Popstars" started, mainstream entertainment shows were dead - then somebody found a way of 'updating' them and now we are awash with them from 'X Factor' to 'Strictly'. They are trendy. Is there a way one can do that with mainstream scripted comedy? I believe that studio based comedy could make a comeback - haven't a clue how and with what but.......who knows.

Perhaps if a 'trendy' star was to front a more mainstream sitcom?

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 2:47 PM BST

'You 'avin a laugh?'

Now I'm sure someone is probably going to tell me that I'm missing something. But why isn't there a higher ratio of accepted mainstream comedy these days?

If it is mainstream by definition the comedy has been accepted. By the commissioners and by the public.

Why do commercial enterprises (not sure if this includes the BBC or not as they are public funded - but also have to - hopefully - account for their actions in a commercial way?) ignore stuff that would be considered by the masses as mainstream?

They don't. Can you give us an example of such a strange notion?

I suspect part of the reason is simply an academic intellectual approach overcoming common-sense and real commercial thinking - for the sake of it by decision makers who want to indulge themselves.

Can you further explain this extremely weird notion and how it sits in the processes that a programme goes through before it gets to air?

Thanks Roy.

How interesting that the one professional contributor here picks up my thoughts?

Very interesting to have it confirmed from the horse's mouth. (Lovely teeth by the way!)

Too much snobbery and self indulgence. At a time when competing for an audience is tougher than ever (in the sixties there were 2 or 3 channels - you had to watch crap - ot not bother) it's amazing how mass appeal isn't catered for.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 26 2010, 2:58 PM BST

Perhaps if a 'trendy' star was to front a more mainstream sitcom?

Not many trendy stars would have the balls to do that I guess?

Marc P

Roy has answered the questions you put to me. He should have a certain knowledge and insider experience of these things.

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 3:01 PM BST

Too much snobbery and self indulgence.

I'm lovin' snobbery and self-indulgence!

(Particularly if Ant and Dec are the alternative mainstream option).

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 26 2010, 2:56 PM BST

I believe that studio based comedy could make a comeback - haven't a clue how and with what but.......who knows.

Yeah that Miranda really sucked. I bet nobody wants to own up to commissioning that! ;)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 26 2010, 3:03 PM BST

I'm lovin' snobbery and self-indulgence!

(Particularly if Ant and Dec are the alternative mainstream option).

I'm with you John - but from a true cash generating point of view its gotta be Ant n Dec everyday!

Quote: Marc P @ August 26 2010, 3:06 PM BST

Yeah that Miranda really sucked. I bet nobody wants to own up to commissioning that! ;)

The IT Crowd is also a studio sitcom.

Neither of those are pulling in huge audiences, however. Well, not big enough for, for example, BBC One to consider snatching Miranda away.

Not sure what is on at the mo as it's summer, more coming in Autumn I expect. I don't think anybody would be embarrassed to say they commissioned LOTSW or My Family for example. Big Top maybe but I still liked Amanda Holden's outfit in that and as MJ said sometimes you have to screen something to see if it works. Can't say they didn't try.

Quote: Juan Kerr @ August 26 2010, 2:54 PM BST

Firstly David thanks for the mature request to explain.

Have you read 'How to win Friends and Influence people'? I don't mind replying to courteous questions such as yours.

Some posters obvioulsy have better people skills than others. However......

Well actually I was endorsing the virtues of 'mainstream' comedy as opposed to Tims preference for edgier stuff - that probably doesn't appeal to the masses - but may appeal to some controllers' egos.

So...I totally disagree with Tim.

Dear Juan,

Thank you for your prompt response. If you take the time to go back to the post in question (and indeed my response to it) you'll see that Tim's message is logically flawed. It's this breakdown in logic that I attribute to Marc P's justifiable confusion. Your reply to Marc P's post, to my mind, insinuated that Marc was unable to comprehend Tim's point through a fault of his own, which might (given context) be construed as unfriendly, mean spirited and dizzyingly ignorant.

In summation, you may want to refer back to Dale Carnegie's book of simple, yet powerful, messages about growth and personal development.

Yours sincerely,

David

Quote: Marc P @ August 26 2010, 3:06 PM BST

Actually Marc the powers that be like 'Miranda' and having done a bit of market research (not scientific) I have found that it appeals to women - it taps into something that men don't get - I'm not being sexist, my female freinds who have watched rather like it. It leaves me cold and I find her personality bloody annoying - but what do I know, I'm only a bloke....Horses for courses.