British Comedy Guide

Claire Zolkwer - New ITV Head of Comedy Page 6

There is an edit button Roy, I often don't see my typos until I post. Then diet them afterwards.

The brain is not working properly (nothing new there!!)Thanks Marc

Quote: Marc P @ August 25 2010, 2:41 PM BST

There is an edit button Roy, I often don't see my typos until I post. Then diet them afterwards.

:)

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 24 2010, 7:14 PM BST

But would you say there comedy output was mainstream??

Didn't notice the mainstream bit! In that case... NO!

Surely mainstream comedy is the worse kind of comedy. The best comedy is at the edges. It's the same with drama, "Life on Mars" for instance was not mainstream. If anything ITV comedy is even more 'mainstream' than the BBC.

Life on Mars ended up being fairly huge, Tim.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 25 2010, 7:30 PM BST

Surely mainstream comedy is the worse kind of comedy. The best comedy is at the edges. It's the same with drama, "Life on Mars" for instance was not mainstream. If anything ITV comedy is even more 'mainstream' than the BBC.

Why is mainstream the worst kind of comedy? Fine have comedy for minority tastes - nothing wrong with that but popular mainstream entertainment shouldn't be sacrificed at the alter of "edge".

I make (made) mainstream comedy and believe me it ain't as easy to pull off as it looks. Of course there has been some appalingly bad mainstream comedy on the TV but when it's good and it works you can't beat it. Making a whole family laugh is a no mean feat. Shows like "Dads Army", "Only Fools and Horses" "Allo Allo" "One Foot in the Grave" the list goes on - all mainstream comedy, written for mass viewing - hardly 'the worst kind of comedy'. I'm proud to be part of it.

Sorry Tim - I can't agree with you on this one.....
Pirate

How are you defining mainstream, out of curiosity?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 25 2010, 8:31 PM BST

Why is mainstream the worst kind of comedy? Fine have comedy for minority tastes - nothing wrong with that but popular mainstream entertainment shouldn't be sacrificed at the alter of "edge".

I make (made) mainstream comedy and believe me it ain't as easy to pull off as it looks. Of course there has been some appalingly bad mainstream comedy on the TV but when it's good and it works you can't beat it. Making a whole family laugh is a no mean feat. Shows like "Dads Army", "Only Fools and Horses" "Allo Allo" "One Foot in the Grave" the list goes on - all mainstream comedy, written for mass viewing - hardly 'the worst kind of comedy'. I'm proud to be part of it.

Sorry Tim - I can't agree with you on this one.....
Pirate

Here is a dictionary definition:

- Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority. However, the mainstream is far from cohesive; rather the concept is often considered a cultural construct. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). ...

By that vague definition, none of the shows mentioned were mainstream shows (and I believe "Outnumbered" is another example) they were just cult shows which were picked up by the mainstream. Mainstream seems to be a marketing term anyway which seems to apply more to radio than to TV (after all would you rather have a mainstream chat show or a late night one? Most people would probably say the latter)

Pirate?

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 26 2010, 7:47 AM BST

- Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority. However, the mainstream is far from cohesive; rather the concept is often considered a cultural construct. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). ...

By that vague definition, none of the shows mentioned were mainstream shows (and I believe "Outnumbered" is another example) they were just cult shows which were picked up by the mainstream. Mainstream seems to be a marketing term anyway which seems to apply more to radio than to TV (after all would you rather have a mainstream chat show or a late night one? Most people would probably say the latter)

Pirate?

You've quoted the dictionary then completely misread its message. The key word is "majority". The majority of people would choose a mainstream chat show because that's the very definition of mainstream - that it's the most popular choice.

Pirate?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next time the job of Head of Comedy comes up at the BBC, Tim, you should apply. BBC Execs spend whole awaydays in expensive hotels talking like this.

As to your last point in parenthesis - it would depend on what mood I was in - just because it's on late at night doesn't make it good or bad.

P.S. I like Pirates, does this make me a bad person??

Laughing out loud

Quote: Trabs @ August 20 2010, 9:49 AM BST

ITV is mostly a croc of shit though. Does anybody actually consider it as an option to send comedy scripts to? I would place it above channel 5, but only just.

I've got a comedy script being considered by ITV at the moment. Although it has to be said I wrote it aiming it at the BBC.

'mainstream' gets market share!

The Sun
Coronation St
EastEnders
Manchester United
Ant and Dec
X Factor
Compare the Market meerkats
Posh n Becks
etc etc

Some people may call this the vulgar side...so what...vulgar makes money in the UK. Cater for the lowest common denominator of the demographic - unless you are persuing 'your arty farty aspirations'

Now I'm sure someone is probably going to tell me that I'm missing something. But why isn't there a higher ratio of accepted mainstream comedy these days?

The above examples are just a small number of accepted 'licence to print money' enterprises.

Why do commercial enterprises (not sure if this includes the BBC or not as they are public funded - but also have to - hopefully - account for their actions in a commercial way?) ignore stuff that would be considered by the masses as mainstream?

I suspect part of the reason is simply an academic intellectual approach overcoming common-sense and real commercial thinking - for the sake of it by decision makers who want to indulge themselves.

If you had a everyday consumer product that you wanted exposure for - would you want it advertised during the X Factor or The South Bank Show?

Thoughts?