British Comedy Guide

Rev - Series 1 Page 6

Just watched both back to back, to catch up.
I enjoyed it.
It walks the inevitable tight-rope between straight out comedy and drama - but so far it appears to be pulling it off.
Some exellent performances too.
But, mainly, you're rooting for the guy from about 5 minutes in, so you're engaged in the story.
will continue with this.

Caught episode two (I think it was?) the other night. Very, very promising stuff indeed. Some very funny moments in there and a show with great potential, will be watching again.

I'm really enjoying this show. A nice study of a human trying to always be a good person and do the right thing.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 7 2010, 2:22 PM BST

a human trying to always be a good person and do the right thing.

That sounds like a synopsis of my life.

Caught up with it now, missed the first one, does it really require a 10 o'clock slot? Even the repeat is at ten, I've seen far riskier stuff on before 9! Anyway, very surprised with it, nothing like I thought it would be, the writing was very good, and it was satirical! A lot was packed into that half hour as well, which I like to see, the characters are interesting too. I will be watching, if I can stay up.

For what it is worth I will add my praise too.

Caught the last 15 minutes after never having seen it before. Thought it was quite entertaining and watchable.

Yes, promising.

The second episode was *ace*! Loved it and laughed so much. After the pleasantly enjoyable first episode (though I agree with somebody saying that the 'coming to church to get your kids in to school' could have been much better), I was expecting that nice sort of 'gentle' comedy, but though the whole thing was top notch!

The stand-off between Adam and Darren where one was providing certainty and the other providing faith was excellently done. One of the great sitcom scenes ever: funny, serious and very well-handled. Top marks for that especially.

On the whole, excellent.

Dan

Agreed, thought the showdown scene was the best bit of sitcom I've seen in yonks, very well done. Until then I kept thinking Rev needed a 50minute/hour slot as a comedy drama, but that little scene proved they could make it work as a sitcom. Still not too sure it wouldn't be better as a longer comedy drama though. It's a difficult one, they definitely have the material for a longer slot and the pacing would seem more natural to it...?

I've just watched it again and I don't think I've seen so much going on in a single sitcom episode since Fawtly Towers! It doesn't look wrong though at all. I'd still call Rev a comedy drama, a half hour one. Will probably be my sitcom of the year unless something very good comes along in the next six months.

Or it falls apart in the next four episodes.

Another very enjoyable episode. I particularly like the priest who looks like Roman Polanski. And good to have the sexy headmistress back.

Wonderful episode this week, I thought. Very funny. And yes, great to have Lucy Liemann back. A really good character against Adam.

This isn't a sitcom, it's a comedy-drama surely. You can tell by the 2.3 laughs per episode. How is this being touted as a sitcom? Sitcoms have loads of funny bits in them. This doesn't.

My feeling so far is that it's really well-written and has some great performances, but it's a comedy-drama.

Not a sitcom.

And Hollander is a fine actor but he ain't funny. Not in this show anyway.

I've only watched the first ep so far BTW so I might be being premature.

But - "sitcom"? Nah.

It may not hit the laughter-count-mark of many sitcoms, but its tone is certainly not that of a comedy drama. Far too light and jovial.

With a title like that I thought it was going to be about cars. Might have to watch it now.