British Comedy Guide

Bloody production companies! Page 2

Quote: Anorak @ February 8 2010, 1:53 PM GMT

The best advice I've ever received was: Only give up when it stops being fun.

Stop encouraging them all!

Quote: Cliff @ February 8 2010, 12:53 AM GMT

too be honest im working towards trying stand up and working material into that because trying to get someone to even look at a script is near impossible.

ill see if I can throw an act together...then the battle starts about getting a decent open mic slot.

Then you'll be jumping into another discipline that requires mucho hard work and the odd break. If you want to get into stand up worry about getting an open spot, decent or not. It's all about the stage time. :)

Yeah but writing isn't fun at all. It's bloody boring and desperately hard work most of the time. It's only "fun" when you sit back at the end and think "Well this is good!". Everything up to that point is Hell, and I'd much rather be doing something less unpleasant, like being waterboarded in Guantanamo Bay or having my nipples chewed off by African fire ants. With AIDS.

But that's probably just me. Errr

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 9 2010, 11:29 PM GMT

Yeah but writing isn't fun at all.

I find it pretty fun; I wouldn't do it if I didn't.

I'm addicted to it

I write because I am compelled to.

(I hate how much of a knob that makes me sound.)

I write because my wife compels me to.

Writing is like the gym for me, I hate doing it but I love having done it. Also, I like to wear shorts when I'm doing it.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 10 2010, 9:03 AM GMT

I'm amazed by the number of people who want to be writers wo actually hate writing. I love it.

That's great to hear.

I write comedy because I like to make people laugh and I want to see my ideas on the telly. If there were any other way of achieving that without the painful process of actually writing it, I'd probably do it.

Actually scratch that. I used to enjoy writing back in the day when the only people reading my stuff were family and friends. Family and friends don't say "Sorry, we're developing something similar / it's too broad / it's too niche / it's got too many jokes in / it needs more gags / it's a bit mainstream / it's too out-there / there are no slots for this type of stuff / we tried something similar last year and it didn't work / can you beef up the story / can you make the story simpler / we're not doing single cam / we're not doing audience / can you make it a bit more edgy / can you make it a bit tamer / yes we like this and want to develop it, would you mind if we completely ripped the heart out of it, change everything that makes it good, then blame you at the end if it's not funny?"

Probably just a phase I'm going through :)

Shades of Tegan Jovanka: My Aunt Vanessa said, when I became an air stewardess, if you stop enjoying it, give it up... It's stopped being fun, Doctor.

Quote: Marc P @ February 10 2010, 10:14 AM GMT

I write because my wife compels me to.

I write because the power of Christ compels me.

I write becuse I hav a fantistic eye for detali.

I'm writing right now.

sorry new to this site but could everyone take a look at my very first short script/video and comment subscribe and tell me what you think. its just a short vid as a trial I will be posting more detailed and thought out videos soon.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

thanks

Yup love to once you move it to critique