British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 999

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 22 2012, 11:32 AM BST

I hated revising so much that I would barely bother, then do fine enough in the actual exam. Not as good as I would have if I'd actually put in any effort of course!

Word.

This is so typically short sighted and very British. We tinker with the minutia of a flawed system rather then talk about the bigger issues.

What is the purporse of education? Is it to genuinely learn about a subject? Do well in exams? Remember facts? Prepare you for employment? Or is there a more aspirational aspect?

Do we really need more accountants, lawyers and doctors? Or should we concentrate on more technical or artistic vocations? Business studies or philosophy?

And with all this talk about a two tier education, why has no one mentioned stage schools? Am I missing out on the top jobs because of my lack of contemporary dance and miming skills?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 22 2012, 11:32 AM BST

I generally didn't bother revising. I was just really good at exams.

I was really pissed off in my A Level Eng Lit Tempest exam papar, as I was expectign Caliban to come up as a character study and I knew I could have hundred percented that bitch. It was a different character and I only ended up with 97% and was quite displeased. Especially when the people who failed got Caliban on their resit paper.

How the f**k do you get 100% seriouslythat's ridiculous. I mean that would assume if you sat down and wrote an essay alongside the worlds greatest SHakespeare expert, Shakespeare and Stephen Fry you'd all get the same grade.

Grade inflation devalues exams so much.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 22 2012, 11:32 AM BST

Not as good as I would have if I'd actually put in any effort of course!

This is the sort of bollocks everybody thinks but probably isn't true. You'd probably have got the same exact marks if you'd slogged your guts out. We all would.

I'm not sure completely scrapping GCSEs can fairly be described as tinkering with minutiae!
They could be doing a lot less.

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2012, 11:37 AM BST

How the f**k do you get 100% seriouslythat's ridiculous. I mean that would assume if you sat down and wrote an essay alongside the worlds greatest SHakespeare expert, Shakespeare and Stephen Fry you'd all get the same grade.

Grade inflation devalues exams so much.

A Level, dude. Not masters Degree. To hundred percent something, you have have to aim at being in the top percent of your age group. And you get 100% by learning a lot on the subject within the confines of the course, remembering that shit and being able to make one hell of an argument.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 11:36 AM BST

This is so typically short sighted and very British. We tinker with the minutia of a flawed system rather then talk about the bigger issues.

What is the purporse of education? Is it to genuinely learn about a subject? Do well in exams? Remember facts? Prepare you for employment? Or is there a more aspirational aspect?

Do we really need more accountants, lawyers and doctors? Or should we concentrate on more technical or artistic vocations? Business studies or philosophy?

And with all this talk about a two tier education, why has no one mentioned stage schools? Am I missing out on the top jobs because of my lack of contemporary dance and miming skills?

Interesting theres lots of good stuff in education.

I certainly think one of the biggest things is developing a love of learning. I had a really good history and english teachers at A level (ok I dropped out of history). But I learned to love the subjects, to be interested in how they worked and what they were about. So if I saw a Shakespeare play I'd read the text in advance.

Even at GCSE I think I probably had to read 20 or so books for lit and study one author intensley. It really got me into the language.

That said a statistically significant number of mainly fellas bunk off school to work. Becasue well they're going to be builders, plumbers, gardeners and they just want to get started. There must be a better way of reaching them.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 22 2012, 11:41 AM BST

A Level, dude. Not masters Degree. To hundred percent something, you have have to aim at being in the top percent of your age group. And you get 100% by learning a lot on the subject within the confines of the course, remembering that shit and being able to make one hell of an argument.

It's still an unrealistic grade. I mean I did A levels a few years earlier than you. And where as I wouldn't expect to get %100 I was at school with some super smarty pants. First at Oxbridge super smarty pants and 80-90s was what they expected.

[quote name="Nat Wicks" post="886279" date="June 22 2012, 11:41 AM BST"And you get 100% by learning a lot on the subject within the confines of the course, remembering that shit and being able to make one hell of an argument.[/quote]
63 %

Keep out of it MarcP you're so posh you had your butler goto Eton for you.

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2012, 11:46 AM BST

Even at GCSE I think I probably had to read 20 or so books for lit and study one author intensley. It really got me into the language.

That said a statistically significant number of mainly fellas bunk off school to work. Becasue well they're going to be builders, plumbers, gardeners and they just want to get started. There must be a better way of reaching them.

So according to sootyj, who likes to read books, then education is brilliant. Anyone who wants to learn something aside from academia is 'bunking off'.

I didn't realise we had restricted learning and education to just a narrow band of grammar school-esque subjects and everything else must be devauled because it is inherently working class.

(just chucking a few cats amongst the penguins)

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2012, 11:48 AM BST

Keep out of it MarcP you're so posh you had your butler goto Eton for you.

I was next door at the WIndsor races!!

Quote: Marc P @ June 22 2012, 11:47 AM BST

63 %

Teary

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 11:53 AM BST

So according to sootyj, who likes to read books, then education is brilliant. Anyone who wants to learn something aside from academia is 'bunking off'.

I didn't realise we had restricted learning and education to just a narrow band of grammar school-esque subjects and everything else must be devauled because it is inherently working class.

(just chucking a few cats amongst the penguins and being an attention seeking knobber. I should really purchase a parrot and teaching it to read the Guardian. Oh the fun I could have shouting red faced at my feathered friend. Lecturing it on why Keynsian economics are doomed and how the market can lead the economy. Of course I could have the same conversation with a Bratts doll in my pants. )

No merely offering one view point. A love of learning is a great thing, as I believe you've said you never read anything.

You're a prime example of what a damaged, shrunken sould emerges without it.

Quote: Marc P @ June 22 2012, 11:54 AM BST

I was next door at the WIndsor racists!!

Thats no way to describe our Royal Family!

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2012, 12:03 PM BST

No merely offering one view point. A love of learning is a great thing, as I believe you've said you never read anything.

I have read loads thank you very much from Shakespeare to Chaucer to Orwell. I just choose not to read books now as I don't have a long commute.

But your reasoning that reading books equates to learning is so incredibly myopic and supercilious that I don't know where to begin.

Oooooh 1000 pages of Things That Piss You Off... nearly