British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 913

Whoa! There!

Quote: keewik @ April 6 2012, 12:47 AM BST

Is anybody listening to me ? I AM A MOTHER. you don't decide to bring a life into the world then f**k off doing dangerous things to satisfy your own ego. And while we're at it, sorry Harridan, people should look after their own children and not kick them off to nannies. Why bother having cheek if you can't be bothered caring for them.

Not everyone can be a stay-at-home parent, obviously.

Lol, everyone calm down.

I'm sure the woman put plenty of thought into what she did. But just came to a different conclusion about what to do. Not all mothers agree on everything.

Ah, I've missed all this jovial banter!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 6 2012, 12:52 AM BST

Ah, I've missed all this jovial banter!

There ain't no ruckus like a BCG sexism ruckus!

Quote: Harridan @ April 6 2012, 12:50 AM BST

Not everyone can be a stay-at-home parent, obviously.

They can be if they don't go for fancy holidays and all the materialistic trimmings. I say this as somebody who spent most of my childhood in what we call a 'single end' here. My father was poorly paid and my mother stayed home with me. I didn't know any different - just knew I was loved.

I'm sure some mothers would get quite judgey about attracting 'dangerous foxes' to your home. (Not me, because I like them, but you get my point!)
People have different ideas about what is suitable behaviour.

Don't need to worry about that now - they're adults.

The foxes or the kids? ;)

Quote: keewik @ April 6 2012, 12:55 AM BST

They can be if they don't go for fancy holidays and all the materialistic trimmings. I say this as somebody who spent most of my childhood in what we call a 'single end' here. My father was poorly paid and my mother stayed home with me. I didn't know any different - just knew I was loved.

And your life experience is the only valid one, I suppose?

Imagine what would happen to the workforce if one parent in each family stayed at home. Plenty of people who stay at home and look after their own kids fulltime do a terrible job (no, I'm not talking about you). There is nothing wrong with entrusting childcare to someone else in the same way that there's nothing wrong with sending your children to school rather than homeschooling them.

Quote: Ben @ April 6 2012, 12:54 AM BST

There ain't no ruckus like a BCG sexism ruckus!

My very favourite kind of ruckus.

Quote: Harridan @ April 6 2012, 12:59 AM BST

Imagine what would happen to the workforce if one parent in each family stayed at home.

The rate of unemployment would drop, like in the old days? Less crime, less poverty, a stable, loving and constant influence at home? Sounds like madness to me. ;)

As for pregnant women working in dangerous conditions, perhaps they should take a leaf out of the third worlders book - squeeze out like 10-12 kids and hope that some of them make it past 5 years of age. You can't argue with probability.

I don't even know what this wolf woman did, so I'm not talking about her, but generally - in all seriousness, some third world pregnant types still walk f**ktons of miles per day to get water, work all day in the fields or God knows what while they're pregnant, and then push the sprog out with no drugs or doctors standing by.
People can tend to wrap pregnant women here in cotton wool and most of the time it's probably not necessary. In my humble opinion.

Only R.C can make a valid point and come out of it looking like a bit of a c**t. Who are you really, Bob Geldof?

Quote: zooo @ April 6 2012, 1:11 AM BST

but generally - in all seriousness, some third world pregnant types still walk f**ktons of miles per day to get water, work all day in the fields or God knows what while they're pregnant, and then push the sprog out with no drugs or doctors standing by.

Yes and their child mortality rates reflect this.

But thanks to you and Harridan, I'm going to push for an end to maternity leave, a cut back in midwives and make the preggos stand when I've got a really good seat on the tube.

Go sisters!