British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 739

Quote: zooo @ August 20 2011, 1:51 PM BST

You must look well dodgy.

Dodgy like a fox. Cool

Quote: TopBanana @ August 20 2011, 2:28 PM BST

Dildos who ring my mobile with an 'unknown' number but don't say a word when you answer.

For the love of God, why??

Google the number. You'd be surprised who's at it ! British Gas, AA etc.

They withhold the number though, OR!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ August 21 2011, 12:05 PM BST

They withhold the number though, OR!

Not always. I've had 0800xx numbers ring my mobile. I get a missed call and a 'voice message' which turns out to be about 10 secs of silence.

http://www.telepest.co.uk/

Don't answer if it's withheld might be one of those polling things. That checks for active numbers and then sells the number to sales lot.

If it's super important they'll leave a message.

^^That's what I usually do.

I've only just got this number and I've been very careful about giving it out to companies. My old number was entered into online forms for competitions and stuff, so I expected it then. But how have they got my new number??

People.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 21 2011, 3:12 PM BST

People.

This.

Yes, they can be rather annoying.

Quote: zooo @ August 21 2011, 3:20 PM BST

Yes, they can be rather annoying.

Laughing out loud

Everybody hates a student - especially when they think it's all such a laugh.

You don't think rioting is fun Chappers?

Quote: Gavin @ August 21 2011, 12:25 PM BST

Don't answer if it's withheld might be one of those polling things. That checks for active numbers and then sells the number to sales lot.

If it's super important they'll leave a message.

But if they do leave a voice mail, isn't that proving that it is a valid number just the same as answering?

Non active numbers would just ring and ring surely?

Quote: TopBanana @ August 21 2011, 2:24 PM BST

^^That's what I usually do.

I've only just got this number and I've been very careful about giving it out to companies. My old number was entered into online forms for competitions and stuff, so I expected it then. But how have they got my new number??

Random number diallers. if it really upsets you register with the Telephone Preference Service. Then if they keep calling you and you can prove it, the pests can be fined up to £5K. if we all did it, they'd soon stop the cold calling.

But sometimes it's either sheer bad luck or scammers. There's a bunch working out of Glasgow that I came up against about a year back. I think they'd just got my number from a random dialling as I'm XD. They insisted that a Sharon Miller lived at my address and left threatening messages about bailiffs coming round to enforce court judgements for non payment of debts. I gave up telling them that there was no Miller but simply asked what was the debt. They couldn't tell me. How much was the debt? They wouldn't tell me. On what address had they got the court order? They couldn't tell me. When did they get the court order? They wouldn't tell me. So then I told them that I'd recorded the call, reverse traced their number, got their address and company details, that they were trading in insolvency and I'd be delighted to see them in court where I would put my side of the story and claim damages for harrassment and extortion. They put the phone down on me. The next day I got a call from someone purporting to be the MD apologising profusely. I've never heard from them again.
What makes me sick is that they are probably using the same tactics on someone vulnerable who may worry that they do have such a debt and pay up just to get rid of them.

Poor quality components.
My shower has started leaking through the ceiling because the plughole-bit is made of cheap plastic and has broken. Now I've got to spend time finding out where I can get a spare, assuming they're available; and I'm hoping no permanent damage has been caused to the house (thinks: maybe this is covered on my insurance?).