British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 737

Thanks.

It just strikes me as rude. This place has a history of ignoring emails. I've hardly ever had a response, but I can't call the department in question.

A lot of places send automated responses to say 'we'll be dealing with your email' etc.

Quote: TopBanana @ August 14 2011, 4:17 PM BST

When people/organisations don't reply to your email.

I sent off an important one on Thursday and I've not even had an acknowledgement. KNOB HEADS.

Do I email them again asking if they received the initial contact and risk looking like a stress head? Or what??! KNOB HEADS.

Redo it and set the request-receipt option in your email program.

I'm gonna do that. I'll give them until noon tomorrow.

*COUGH*

Quote: Leevil @ August 14 2011, 4:41 PM BST

You could try sending a receipt with emails in the future. Although I'm not sure what impression this would give, because I'm sure the recipient would have to give permission to send the receipt.

I'll do that, too, sexy Leevil!

Channel 4 website homepage. I do not find it entertaining to have to attempt to grab links as they playfully change size

Quote: Leevil @ August 14 2011, 6:13 PM BST

*COUGH*

Bad cough you have there and are you re-inventing the wheel in a more inconvenient form? The email system had had for many many years a built in facility for requesting a receipt of an email.

In Thunderbird it is in Options of the message composing window. I've forgotten where it is on other email programs, but I've used it on other programs before.

Cool

What do you mean Bill? I was suggesting TB select the option to recieve a recipt when the email was opened. I haven't done in since the days of using Outlook on Win 98. But I'm sure it's still possible? How does your suggestion differ?

Quote: Leevil @ August 14 2011, 11:52 PM BST

What do you mean Bill? I was suggesting TB select the option to recieve a recipt when the email was opened. I haven't done in since the days of using Outlook on Win 98. But I'm sure it's still possible? How does your suggestion differ?

>How does your suggestion differ?

It doesn't but you worded your original message as if it was a completely different mechanism.

Quote: Leevil @ August 14 2011, 4:41 PM BST

You could try sending a receipt with emails in the future. Although I'm not sure what impression this would give, because I'm sure the recipient would have to give permission to send the receipt.

You don't send a receipt, you send a request for a receipt.

Picky maybe I am...

Cool

Picky indeed! I suppose technically you're sending a receipt to then be returned certified. But I don't want to challenge the might of Bill's will of computer knowledge. :$

Quote: Leevil @ August 15 2011, 1:22 AM BST

Picky indeed! I suppose technically you're sending a receipt to then be returned certified. But I don't want to challenge the might of Bill's will of computer knowledge. :$

:S

When you have written as many technical instruction documents as I have, you learn to be very precise in what you describe, because otherwise if you sold say 1000 copies of a program you would then be swamped by 1000 complaint emails from people who didn't understand your instructions.

Cool

It ain't like writing humour y'know, people don't usually bother to complain if they don't understand a joke.

:D

Quote: billwill @ August 15 2011, 1:58 AM BST

:S

When you have written as many technical instruction documents as I have, you learn to be very precise in what you describe, because otherwise if you sold say 1000 copies of a program you would then be swamped by 1000 complaint emails from people who didn't understand your instructions.

Cool

It ain't like writing humour y'know, people don't usually bother to complain if they don't understand a joke.

:D

Why bother though? Nobody reads them because they don't make sense and there's too much to read for it to sink in.

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2011, 12:07 PM BST

Why bother though? Nobody reads them because they don't make sense and there's too much to read for it to sink in.

>they don't make sense

Alas all too many instruction books are written by people who don't know how to write a clear technical instruction book/leaflet.

Mine do make sense! Because I am so picky!

The fact that my season 5 House DVD has invisible menu arrows, which means I can't navigate the menus properly and have to select episodes by trial and error.

The people at Student Finance England.