British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 726

Now that's just f**king rude. Even worse is people who charge in front of you. As though they're trying to get the best seat. It's a rare occurrence as there is often an unspoken lift etiquette running through the veins of us English folk. But when it does happen! *shakes fist*

When you stand aside for someone in the street and they don't say thank you or even shyly nod or smile. I've got into the habit of shouting 'you're welcome' after them. Will probably get punched one day.

I tell people they're welcome too. I can't abide people not being polite. I'm definitely going to get stabbed.

When you get up for a pregnant lady or elderly type person on a bus.
And some little scrote sneaks and grabs the seat.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 21 2011, 12:44 AM BST

People who insist on getting into the lift you are trying to leave instead of waiting for you to get out.

This is a problem I always encounter in Asia, in lifts and public transport. The solution is to walk straight toward the person (who is trying to enter before you've had a chance to exit) and 'accidentally' bump them. It must not seem deliberate and you should not knock them over. If you can make them lose a silly hat as they enter (and you leave) a departing bus or train, that's even better.

Tube trains are bloody awful for that.

Students who take the lift a whole one floor. Especially the obese ones who could do with the exercise.

I worked in Germany for 6 months thirty years ago and what we consider good manners and politness in the UK doesn't exist there.

It is not the Germans fault, it's their culture and how they are brought up so they do not think anything of it.

At lifts, they all barge in and out and it's your fault if you are not quick enough to get out first and fast.

I had a great culture shock until I became used to it.

For instance, at a bar you shout until a barmaid acknowledges you. You then join the queue in her head. If you stand with your money in your hand waiting to be served, you will wait all night.

Bus stops were a treat to observe. Everyone sat or stood orderly until the bus came. Then it was everyman for himself to get on or off.

It's probably why Germans can be percieved as being rude and ignorant but they are not. It's just the way it is there.
I made some great friends there that are still friends to this day.

Quote: AJGO @ July 21 2011, 7:47 AM BST

When you stand aside for someone in the street and they don't say thank you or even shyly nod or smile. I've got into the habit of shouting 'you're welcome' after them. Will probably get punched one day.

Knowing you've done the right thing should be reward enough. It is for me. Angelic

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ July 21 2011, 12:51 PM BST

I It's probably why Germans can be percieved as being rude and ignorant but they are not. It's just the way it is there.

I don't quite understand this. You don't have to be brought up polite to know that's it's rude to barge past people.

The Polish are worst for barging. Hence the term 'barge Pole'.

Quote: chipolata @ July 21 2011, 1:07 PM BST

Knowing you've done the right thing should be reward enough. It is for me. Angelic

Too many years of the Northern Line on the Tube have erased any potential for a zen like acceptance. Also, when did buggies get so bloody enormous? When I was young (which was quite a while ago but not that long ago) people had a simple plastic fold-up contraption, and they could get on buses without people wanting to punch them. Is it part of the obesity epidemic? Are babies now significantly larger and require more space?

Indians, however, are the most prone to being barged. Hence the term "bargee".

Quote: AJGO @ July 21 2011, 2:01 PM BST

Too many years of the Northern Line on the Tube have erased any potential for a zen like acceptance. Also, when did buggies get so bloody enormous? When I was young (which was quite a while ago but not that long ago) people had a simple plastic fold-up contraption, and they could get on buses without people wanting to punch them. Is it part of the obesity epidemic? Are babies now significantly larger and require more space?

I read somewhere that they are the baby equivalent of having a 4x4.

People who eat fried chicken on buses.

Filthy f**kers.