British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 721

Quote: keewik @ July 13 2011, 10:20 PM BST

You truly don't know the difference between 'ock' and 'och'?

The bastards are still doing it by the way - every bloody news reader and David Milliband. It's a conspiracy to drive me mad(der).

I thought you were talking about the spelling, do you mean you can hear a difference when they say it??

Quote: EllieJP @ July 12 2011, 9:49 PM BST

Doing the late shift at work. 13 hours now. :(

I've done 2 seven hour shifts today. Started at 6 this morning, break of half an hour travelling from one station to another and finished around 8.20. Still what pisses me off is getting just three shifts this week.

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2011, 10:23 PM BST

I thought you were talking about the spelling, do you mean you can hear a difference when they say it??

:)

Omigod, I don't believe you don't all know the difference. And don't tell me you pronounce it 'SassenacK'!

There's no difference.

Surely you don't go around pronouncing Murdoch with a 'ch' at the end like in chair, do you?

You big mental.

I pronounce it Murdouche.

:)

No, not as in chair. It's totally different. Think of the word 'loch' as in a big watery place. It's a Scottish word and not pronounced 'lock'. Without actually having you here for a lesson, I don't know how to describe it. You'll both have to come to Scotland to learn the pronunciation.

What we need is a smiley between :) and :D

Cos :) can look a bit sarcastic but to be honest I didn't find that funny enough to warrant a :D

Quote: keewik @ July 13 2011, 10:34 PM BST

No, not as in chair. It's totally different. Think of the word 'loch' as in a big watery place. It's a Scottish word and not pronounced 'lock'. Without actually having you here for a lesson, I don't know how to describe it. You'll both have to come to Scotland to learn the pronunciation.

Oh, I sort of know what you mean now.

:P

We're not taking pronunciation lessons from a Jock.

Ha, but you have to if it's Scots - a foreign language. Laughing out loud

Quote: keewik @ July 13 2011, 10:55 PM BST

Ha, but you have to if it's Scots - a foreign language. Laughing out loud

I don't think we're really being sarky. We really don't know the difference. Is it supposed to be that phlegmy sound?

Of course the man himself is Australian/American so probably does pronounce it Murdock anyway!

Quote: Chappers @ July 13 2011, 10:59 PM BST

I don't think we're really being sarky. We really don't know the difference. Is it supposed to be that phlegmy sound?

I think so, as if you are clearing phlegm from the back of the throat :)