British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 702

Quote: KLRiley @ June 9 2011, 3:15 PM BST

Appreciate a response on this one guys.
The premise - it known that I'm leaving. It is also known that part of the reason is down to a senior member of staff who for some reason has got it in for me and has been unfailing unpleasant for over a decade. I've raised bullying and harassment a number of times with the line manager but nothing is done because manager can#t control the bully.
Today I'm in a meeting where results are being discussed. Bully starts on about how out of line my results are, how odd they look and the inference is I haven't done my job properly and if I tried really hard I could have sorted all the problems out. I was actually off work for nearly two months with stress when two other members of staff where supposed to have picked up and sorted out any major problems. They didn't. The Bully was one of them. Line manager just sat back and let Bully whinge for a good ten minutes until various of my colleagues started pitching in and pointing out that in fact there were less than half a dozen outcomes that I could reasonably have been expected to have resolved and I did bring at least five other solved cases to the meeting.
After the meeting several people commented that 'Bully was at it again.'
Bearing in mind I'll be gone and hopefully will never have to see these people again after July, do I bother raising it as a grievance as he'll start on someone else?
Also noted that his protege failed to bring any results to the meeting at all because he can't cope. (protege's own words.)But that too was made out to be my fault.

Raise it as a grievance, especially if you're going.

It'll be investigated and if your colleagues are in your corner may go your way,

It's all a bit swings and roundabouts. I'm taking voluntary as the pay off should be about six months money and its just not doing me any good there. Haven't signed the compromise yet but the lawyer's jaw dropped when I went through what they'd done to me over the years. She did the maths and I'm better off taking the money on offer. I've got an absolutely watertight case on disability discrimination but that would probably only get about a quarter of what I've been told I qualify for.
I personally would love to drag the bu***** through a tribunal but it won't pay the mortgage in the meantime.
Will probably mutter about grievances before end of year reports and make it clear that if it happens again, HR will get to hear about it.

Take the money, 6 months is good stuff.

The grievance, meh if it gets you anywhere go with it (in my experience you have grievances with colleagues and complaints about managers)

But if you've got a lawyer get them to write your reference before you go and keep it on record.

nb with grievances make one or don't, but don't threaten or mutter in my experience.

The reference is not worth having. It is completely factual and the inference is that I was dismissed. However, I have no plans to use them as a referee. I'll just be honest. They called for volunteers and I wanted a job closer to home. Hopefully one of the interviews that I've had recently will translate into employment so I won't need to ever deal with them again.
Will take the advice and not mutter or threaten. (More validation soots!)

Have you enough recent experience not to need a last employer reference?

Because in my experience they are the most likely to fold on that.
Basically if you're not a crook, thug, drunk, murderer serial pisser in the water cooler. It's absolutely not in their interests to give you a shitty reference.

I'm very current and have many, many years experience in my field. However, the reference to be supplied under the agreement bascially states name, rank and serial number. It'll do more harm than good.

So how long have you been working for them?

I'm just aware in my field (social care) not having the most recent employer as referee is the kiss of death (with the unwanted tongue of failure)

and if you fought them for 6 months? Could you fight them for this?

'travelling folk' just moved onto the park near my house....

wouldnt mind so much as long as they don't leave a mess

not hopeful sadly :(

Sorry to hear about your work woes Riley, Soots has given you good advice. All I can suggest is for you to talk to HR and ask for 'garden leave'. Tell them the stress of coming into the office is stressing you out as bully is still there. They must provide laptop and remote access. Might get you a couple of weeks working from home in the sunshine.

Quote: lofthouse @ June 9 2011, 6:35 PM BST

'travelling folk' just moved onto the park near my house....

wouldnt mind so much as long as they don't leave a mess

not hopeful sadly :(

We live opposite a park so that is a constant fear of mine. Last week I saw a tent in the middle of it, I thought the worse but it was just kids from one the houses opposite. Phew!

Angie and Lofthouse you racist bastards.

How dare you intefer with the travelling communities ancient rites of tax avoidance, shitting in bin bags, stealing roof tiles and getting their tits out on hilarious Channel 4 series.

You should be burned at the stake or bummed to death or both.

I choose being bummed to death.

I suppose Mr Baby should do the honours then,

It certainly wasn't an invitation.

If I don't post on here in the next 48 hours, please call the undertakers.

I can't be bummed

I'm a Christian.

Quote: lofthouse @ June 9 2011, 8:59 PM BST

I can't be bummed

I'm a Christian.

That defence didn't work for the Vienna Choir Boys, the Magdalane Sisters or the Pope.