British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 1,001

Personally I am in favour of people buying books. :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 1:17 PM BST

:P

And yes, I do realise that arguing against the merits of books on a comedy forum full of nerds is like pissing in a wind tunnel. But I shall argue on nonetheless.

Wait, are you serious?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 22 2012, 1:19 PM BST

Wait, are you serious?

Never. :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 12:25 PM BST

Where the system tripped up was on SAT scores, one bad exam and your chances of going to college were screwed - until you could take the exam again. However, all this showed was that you were good at taking SAT exams and wasn't a true measure of intelligence.

Up until the early 90s the SAT was a test of intelligence. Even Mensa allows scores on pre-199whenever tests as proof of eligibility for their pointy headed club. (I qualify by 10 points.)

They've redone the SAT so many times that my score from 1982 is probably lower than most students on athletic scholarships.

Quote: Marc P @ June 22 2012, 1:18 PM BST

:D

Could you perhaps provide a sample and random Amazon link to illustrate your point?

Whistling nnocently

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2012, 8:39 AM BST

Thats good, but a 2 level system of exams will mean some kids will have rsults which are a fail however well they do.

Also exams should reflect that we live in the world where with the internet, information management COMPREHENSION is more important than memorising facts.

Quote: Marc P @ June 22 2012, 1:18 PM BST

I do I do I doo.

I have about 5000 books here and I bought 4 more on Tuesday in the Forbidden Planet.

Quote: billwill @ June 22 2012, 1:50 PM BST

I bought 4 more on Tuesday in the Forbidden Planet.

You're not helping with my ascertation about a comedy forum full of nerds billwill. ;) :P

And good for you, Forbidden Planet was my comic book childhood nirvana.

Forbidden Planet is a good shop!

But does it sell crime fiction?

No :( Not the last time I was there !

Tut. Rubbish!

Keep yer crime out of our sci-fi shop! (Unless it's set in space)

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2012, 1:59 PM BST

But does it sell crime fiction?

The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov are much like crime stories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS: If anyone here visits the Forbidden Planet, beware of misunderstanding, all the ground floor is toys & trinkets of SF films, so it doesn't look like a bookshop.

All the good stuff, the REAL Science Fiction books are downstairs in about one third of the basement; the other two thirds being book & games based on SF films.

Those who wanted Harry Potter magic wands will find them on the ground floor.

Bill Will is a nerd snob.

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2012, 2:16 PM BST

Bill Will is a nerd snob.

Someone has got to be. The amount of Twilight merch you can get in FB is terrible.