British Comedy Guide

Two things happening simultaneously in a script... Page 2

I tend to write the dialogue for a character until such a time a piece of action needs to be addressed, then continue the dialogue after it.

For example:

DAVE: I really fancy you, Brenda.

[DAVE inadvertantly fiddles with his privates as he speaks.]

DAVE: Will you go to bed with me?

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 4:50 PM GMT

Not really.

If you mean you didn't read it, perhaps you should try.

If you mean you didn't understand it, I mean you can't/shouldn't put them side by side on a production script (i.e. a professional script). People will hate you for it. The professional way is to have dialogue then description or vice versa (that means, the other way around). How you choose to do it will depend on the information being imparted. If the visual is more important than the dialogue, I presume the duialogue won't be too important, therefore I suggest you write the action and specify in your description that the "following dialogue" plays out underneath the sequence. Or vice versa (see above).

Does this make sense to you?

Don't put information side by side because people don't like it. I wouldn't even put dialogue side by side (you can do it for theatre, but TV and film use scripts differently, but that's another question). Therefore, I'd specify in the action boxes that both following speeches happen simultaneously.

Keep your info on the page linear, i.e. in a line, one piece of info followed by another, not all information side by side.

Ultimately it's up to you to present your script how you wish. I'm just passing on what I've learnt from working in the industry.

Quote: Empty @ January 21 2010, 4:59 PM GMT

If you mean you didn't read it, perhaps you should try.

If you mean you didn't understand it, I mean you can't/shouldn't put them side by side on a production script (i.e. a professional script). People will hate you for it. The professional way is to have dialogue then description or vice versa (that means, the other way around). How you choose to do it will depend on the information being imparted. If the visual is more important than the dialogue, I presume the duialogue won't be too important, therefore I suggest you write the action and specify in your description that the "following dialogue" plays out underneath the sequence. Or vice versa (see above).

Does this make sense to you?

Don't put information side by side because people don't like it. I wouldn't even put dialogue side by side (you can do it for theatre, but TV and film use scripts differently, but that's another question). Therefore, I'd specify in the action boxes that both following speeches happen simultaneously.

Keep your info on the page linear, i.e. in a line, one piece of info followed by another, not all information side by side.

Ultimately it's up to you to present your script how you wish. I'm just passing on what I've learnt from working in the industry.

I do understand now, thanks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

Read everything here, it's useful, including Tetsell's advice on formatting correctly.

Right hand link to Script Smart is the free software you can download which will save you agonising over format issues.

Quote: Empty @ January 21 2010, 5:18 PM GMT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

Read everything here, it's useful, including Tetsell's advice on formatting correctly.

Right hand link to Script Smart is the free software you can download which will save you agonising over format issues.

I've been told not to use Script Smart by lots of people, even Dan Tetsell has said not to use it.

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 5:33 PM GMT

I've been told not to use Script Smart by lots of people, even Dan Tetsell has said not to use it.

Earlier you said you looked and couldn't find any help! I found all this with one quick Google. Great, you've made a decision, and started reading up on the question and taking advice.

And, I don't use Script Smart either. But do take note of the layout requirements of scripts.

Good luck with it all.

Quote: Empty @ January 21 2010, 6:28 PM GMT

Earlier you said you looked and couldn't find any help! I found all this with one quick Google. Great, you've made a decision, and started reading up on the question and taking advice.

And, I don't use Script Smart either. But do take note of the layout requirements of scripts.

Good luck with it all.

Sorry, I meant that I couldn't find any help with the dual dialogue/action problem. But thanks to you guys I've sorted it, great to have such a wealth of knowledge in a box (now if we could just get it canned...).

Slightly less of the attitude, Empty. You've been helpful but it would've been far better without the spittle.
:P

Quote: SlagA @ January 21 2010, 7:00 PM GMT

Slightly less of the attitude, Empty. You've been helpful but it would've been far better without the spittle.
:P

I have a lisp - can't be helped. Live with it.