British Comedy Guide

I need motivation gosh darn it. Page 5

Quote: sootyj @ January 12 2010, 12:51 PM GMT

Ask questions and keep asking till you hit a funny answer.

Something like...

Quote: sootyj @ August 21 2008, 6:10 PM GMT

I manage a small community outreach team for a big Social Services Trust.

Written anything yet Rebecca? :)

Acid, Whiskey and bbq chicken usually helps.

Hi Rebecca
I remember when I first joined you had some funny sketches up in Critique.
Do you still write sketches? Or are you going in a different direction?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 13 2010, 7:01 PM GMT

Hi Rebecca
I remember when I first joined you had some funny sketches up in Critique.
Do you still write sketches? Or are you going in a different direction?

Aww Wave hello again. That is exactly the sort of comment which motivates me! I let myself become somewhat beaten down by self doubt. Crippling self doubt. I'm too worried about not being funny. Most comedy writers I know have the usual writing problems but fundamentally believe that they are funny. I am still expecting people to suddenly realise that I am a total fraud who has no idea of what comedy is. The idea that someone might actually LAUGH at something I've written... Madness! Madness I'm telling you.

In fact, on that note, who here actually thinks they are funny?

I never really wrote sketches full time. I've always preferred sitcom. The sketches just sort of came about as accidental extra thoughts when thinking about sitcom bits and bobs.

A belated view on this. From a sketch perspective, I always find that watching a sketch show - even if ropey - leads to at least 1 good idea for a sketch. Normally due to me thinking what I would do with the situation/location in question, or by putting a similar type of character or disagreement in a different situation.

This very evening, I just watched some Seinfeld DVD extras (got series 7-9 for Christmas) and came up with a sitcom idea. Now all I need is a way of motivating me to sit down in front of a PC into the early hours for a few weeks to work out the characters, plot and write an episode...

Quote: Rebecca Ridsdale @ January 13 2010, 7:50 PM GMT

I'm too worried about not being funny.
I never really wrote sketches full time. I've always preferred sitcom. The sketches just sort of came about as accidental extra thoughts when thinking about sitcom bits and bobs.

If you're stuck on sitcom try to write a sketch or two. It may give you some inspiration.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 13 2010, 10:23 PM GMT

If you're stuck on sitcom try to write a sketch or two. It may give you some inspiration.

That's the thing, I actually find it harder to write sketches - a 2 minutes sketch to establish a character? I'm convinced I'm not the only one for who this is also true, as this would explain why most sketch shows are rubbish. Even the good ones have maybe a couple of funny sketches and the rest are pretty average. Or maybe I'm just missing the point of them, who knows.

Anyways, my mind mapping plan went quite well and I now have a handful of pages with ideas on. Rubbish ideas but gosh darn it ideas nevertheless.

Quote: Rebecca Ridsdale @ January 13 2010, 7:50 PM GMT

In fact, on that note, who here actually thinks they are funny?

Wave
:D

Quote: Marc P @ January 14 2010, 12:22 PM GMT

Wave
:D

Errr

:O

Quote: Marc P @ January 14 2010, 12:28 PM GMT

:O

Console

Quote: Rebecca Ridsdale @ January 14 2010, 12:18 PM GMT

That's the thing, I actually find it harder to write sketches - a 2 minutes sketch to establish a character? I'm convinced I'm not the only one for who this is also true, as this would explain why most sketch shows are rubbish. Even the good ones have maybe a couple of funny sketches and the rest are pretty average. Or maybe I'm just missing the point of them, who knows.

Anyways, my mind mapping plan went quite well and I now have a handful of pages with ideas on. Rubbish ideas but gosh darn it ideas nevertheless.

It was focussing on sketches that finally enabled me to write better sitcoms. Establishing characters, speech rhythms, plot, original ideas (as far as who or what you're targeting), AND plenty of funnies in three and a half pages is no different to writing sitcoms: It turns out as that's all you have at the open of every episode to re-establish the set up and grab the audience (BBC radio internal guidelines specify every episode of a series should be treated as episode 1 as far as re-introducing the idea quickly every week, and endorsing it throughout the episode for the benefit of those tuning in for the first time, and those tuning in at various stages throughout the boadcast!). The "luxury" of the remaining 25 pages or so is to keep the plate spinning creatively.

Helped me learn a lot. Don't know if that helps you?