British Comedy Guide

Are you ever too old?

Are you ever too old to write comedy?

Does someone in their mid-forties think they're too old, and just write for fun instead of sending off ideas? If you're not making a living at it by your thirties, is it all too late? Can someone in their fifties start writing comedy and stand as much chance as someone in their twenties, when it comes to pitching ideas? Is there a golden age to write comedy?

EDIT: text edited by SlagA.

Quote: Happy @ November 27 2009, 3:29 PM GMT

Are you ever to old to write comedy?Does someone in there mid-forties think they're to old, and just write for fun instead of sending off ideas? If your not making a living at it by your thirties,is it all to late?Can someone in their fifties start writing comedy and stand as much chance as someone in their twenties, when it comes to pitching ideas?Is there a golden age to write comedy?

Ever too old? For hotpants possibly (but it's not stopping me). Too old for writing, comedy or otherwise? Definitely not. :)

Happy, please pay attention to spelling. It makes my job easier not to have to go and edit your post and the thread title.
:)

I'll ditto Dolly's words above there. (Points up)

Quote: Happy @ November 27 2009, 3:29 PM GMT

Are you ever too old to write comedy?

Does someone in their mid-forties think they're too old, and just write for fun instead of sending off ideas? If you're not making a living at it by your thirties, is it all too late? Can someone in their fifties start writing comedy and stand as much chance as someone in their twenties, when it comes to pitching ideas? Is there a golden age to write comedy?

EDIT: text edited by SlagA.

I got Equity membership at 52, and I also still write.
I'm nearer to 70 and am attending a workshop for writing comedy soon Laughing out loud
The only thing I'll probably be too old for is my coffin...hopefully

I think age is less important than how funny you are.

Quote: SlagA @ November 27 2009, 3:31 PM GMT

Happy, please pay attention to spelling. It makes my job easier not to have to go and edit your post and the thread title.
:)

Sorry :(

No problem, just a touch more care is all. :)

Hope not. I'm 34 so won't be giving up the day job just yet. Just hoping to keep my mind limber and maybe sell the odd page for some pocket money. Does this also sound too far fetched?

Quote: Griff @ November 27 2009, 3:38 PM GMT

But it's not impossible, it's not insurmountable, and nobody sees your age on a script. However, get into a meeting where you are 10 or even 20 years older than all the other writers, and you will need to be at your best.

I try to keep my age a secret and let people make their own assumptions. A lot of comps and similar ops are looking for under 30s for some reason, yet I think people get funnier and cleverer with age and experience. :)

Particularly as a performer I think I'm at a disadvantage because of my age and being a mother (which means I'm just not able to take on a lot of stuff).

Quote: Griff @ November 27 2009, 3:38 PM GMT

I believe people in their forties and older (such as what I am) are at an inevitable disadvantage, even with the best will in the world on the part of producers. Comedy is, after all, mostly aimed at a young audience. (With the notable exception of Radio Four).

Micheal Jacob, for example, has mentioned in a couple of posts how most successful comedy writers (Curtis and Elton etc) made their careers in their twenties, and - (this next is my inference, not his quote) - it is people who are going to make those kind of big careers that he is looking for. Look for examples of successful scriptwriters who started at 40 and you will find few names.

But it's not impossible, it's not insurmountable, and nobody sees your age on a script. However, get into a meeting where you are 10 or even 20 years older than all the other writers, and you will need to be at your best.

I'd endorse this.

Some other things worth remembering:

Many people in the TV and entertainment industry lie about their age - not just actors.

Wagner wrote Tristan and Isolde at 44.

Young people only really exist for older people to f**k.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 27 2009, 4:01 PM GMT

Couldn't agree more. :D

Quote: Griff @ November 27 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

Worst. Sitcom. Ever.

:D

I'm 36 now, but only started this writing malarkey just over two years ago, after a 12 year hiatus from any form of creative writing. I don't get the impression that my age is counting against me in any way. Personally, I find the stuff I've written over the last couple of years far superior to the material (mainly stand-up and sketches) that I wrote in my late teens and early 20s. I certainly feel I have a bit more life experience to draw upon, though how much this counts towards writing comedy I'm not exactly sure.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 27 2009, 4:01 PM GMT

I'd endorse this.

Some other things worth remembering:

Many people in the TV and entertainment industry lie about their age - not just actors.

Wagner wrote Tristan and Isolde at 44.

we're just teenagers in old skin

I'm already irked that I'm not as far along as I'd like to be, and I'm not even thirty yet. All those wasted years writing the shittiest serious film scripts that have ever been shat out. It does feell slightly like you've got to make serious inroads into the comedy world whilst you're still relatively young. I don't know why. Even more so if you perform as well as write comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 27 2009, 4:08 PM GMT

It does feell slightly like you've got to make serious inroads into the comedy world whilst you're still relatively young. I don't know why.

if you want to do stand-up, then yes you need to put years in, but if you've put years in just having life experience, instead of hiding in your bedroom, I think it will only help with writing comedy.