British Comedy Guide

Annoying trinkets people say! Page 3

Quote: Sammy @ November 25 2009, 8:56 PM GMT

That is joke!

Two girls in my office use that all the time.

They also say 'Let me flash you, yeah?' Which apparently means 'I'll call you back in a bit'.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 27 2009, 3:59 PM GMT

"Any more news on the My Family special yet?"

Also...

"Any more news on the Two Pints specials yet?"

Whistling nnocently

You say that but I bet my bottom arse you'd snap their hands off to get on the writing team! Unimpressed

Quote: Moonstone @ November 27 2009, 4:45 PM GMT

You say that but I bet my bottom arse you'd snap their hands off to get on the writing team! Unimpressed

That's an interesting point for any writer. I can honestly say, not being liable to starve, I really wouldn't. I can understand who some people would write for a show they didn't have much respect for, but it's a shame.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 27 2009, 4:48 PM GMT

That's an interesting point for any writer. I can honestly say, not being liable to starve, I really wouldn't. I can understand who some people would write for a show they didn't have much respect for, but it's a shame.

Not that I write shows, but I would never gear one towards international audiences either, as so many do. I'd just write for Brits, and if it gained popularity anywhere else then bonus! It really bugs me when I see British writers clearly pandering to oversees audiences with nothing more in mind than making more money through a bigger audience.

Quote: Moonstone @ November 27 2009, 4:57 PM GMT

Not that I write shows, but I would never gear one towards international audiences either, as so many do.

In my previous job I did gigs I didn't think much of, just for the money, and I found it a bit soul destroying to be honest. It served it's purpose at the time, but I couldn't keep doing it.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 27 2009, 5:03 PM GMT

In my previous job I did gigs I didn't think much of, just for the money, and I found it a bit soul destroying to be honest. It served it's purpose at the time, but I couldn't keep doing it.

That's exactly as I thought it would be! I see it being about money and little else at that point - in which case why not just start a business instead of being a writer?! It's probably much easier to make money that way if that's what you're interested in (general 'you', not you personally Dolly!)

All slang (unless you made it up yourself) is boring. Ditto Americanisms. Ditto 'ditto' -when did that become a sentence?

'No-brainer' is especially annoying and often used about things that require careful consideration.

24/7

'Right the way up the country' Why not 'Right up?'

'Spits and spots of rain'. Bloody silly expression.

This part of the country is in for some weather.' The rest of us aren't?

All of the above used by my pet hate people - weather forecasters. Not to mention the silly hand gestures, e.g. holding the hands round an invisible football which they keep rolling.

Let's all think outside of the box on this one.

"F**k off, you old c**t, I've got a headache"

See, just like that.

Quote: Moonstone @ November 27 2009, 4:45 PM GMT

You're so, so wrong, Ian.

What does "and how!" mean? I understand it when it's used in a context. But where does it come from?

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 27 2009, 8:49 PM GMT

You're so, so wrong, Ian.

*Pulls a really convinced face*

Oh, right. :P

Quote: Leevil @ November 27 2009, 8:53 PM GMT

What does "and how!" mean? I understand it when it's used in a context. But where does it come from?

I don't even know what you mean.