British Comedy Guide

Annoying trinkets people say! Page 2

Quote: AndreaLynne @ November 26 2009, 11:07 PM GMT

Over here, I hear "on account of because" all the time, along with "type thing" and "hardly never." Arghhh!

You lot do also have an annoying habit of saying "I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less". I was always careful to correct my yank girlfriends whenever they said that.

I'm single now.

know what I mean?

Yes! Oh course I do. I speak f**king English as well so I am able to interpret your sub-literate attempts at communication!

Assole ! y'know what I mean?

Angry

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 26 2009, 11:21 PM GMT

You lot do also have an annoying habit of saying "I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less". I was always careful to correct my yank girlfriends whenever they said that.

I'm single now.

:D I hate that too!

"I'm not being funny" or "To be honest" both are normally followed by very rude and negative comments, reminds me of an adult version of the common schoolyard phrase "No cuss........but your mum's an Irish slag!"

Oftentimes.

Another Americanism.

"Ask" as a noun, mostly used by football commentators as in:

"To get three points at Old Trafford is a big ask"

No it's a big thing to ask, ask is a verb not a noun, also on the TV they will sometimes describe a good match as a "good watch", no, it's a good match TO watch.

Quote: Daddy Maz @ November 27 2009, 11:06 AM GMT

"I'm not being funny"

I use that a lot. It relates to what I write on here frequently.

Quote: Moonstone @ November 25 2009, 8:34 PM GMT

My bad.

Since when the f**k was bad a noun?

That is the one for me. Seems to be middle management using it the most, which proves a couple of things. Firstly, they are c**ts and secondly, they make a lot of mistakes

Right here goes. I love this thread

1) I "Turned Round and said" then "He turned round and said" so "I turned round and said" F**k me, they must be getting dizzy. This is only made worse by saying "turn't round" in stead of "Turned around"

2) Scottish people who write on forums and blogs in Scottish. What I mean by this is they spell words how they sound. Well it might as well be written in a foreign language as far as I'm concerned.

3) The phrase "Quite Unique" It's not, either it is or isn't, it's never quite

4) The word "Afters" used instead of pudding/sweet/dessert

5) Result, used when discussing football ie; We are really hoping we get a result on Sunday. I can guarantee that they will. They will either win, lose or draw!

I'm done - for now

Quote: Minty @ November 27 2009, 12:10 PM GMT

3) The phrase "Quite Unique" It's not, either it is or isn't, it's never quite

There's nothing wrong with that.

"Quite" doesn't always mean "almost" or "somewhat", it also means "completely".

In fact, "to the utmost extent" is the first definition of "quite" in the OED and other dictionaries.

Saying 'very unique' or 'you know' or 'do you get me' or constantly using the word 'like'e.g Peaches Geldof: Master of The English Language

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 26 2009, 11:51 PM GMT

Assole ! y'know what I mean?

Quote: Chappers @ November 27 2009, 11:53 AM GMT

Oftentimes.

Another Americanism.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 27 2009, 12:22 PM GMT

There's nothing wrong with that.

"Quite" doesn't always mean "almost" or "somewhat", it also means "completely".

In fact, "to the utmost extent" is the first definition of "quite" in the OED and other dictionaries.

If it's used in that context, then I agree, that's fine. I'm talking about when people are using Quite Unique to describe something which is rare, but not exclusive

Oh! I just remembered one .

'Can I get a coke please'

"Any more news on the My Family special yet?"

Also...

"Any more news on the Two Pints specials yet?"

Whistling nnocently

The over-use of like, 'like'.

I use it sometimes, but some young people, like, use it every other word.