It's where I live.

60s 1 Dad's Army 2 Steptoe & Son 3 Likely Lads
70s 1 Fawlty Towers 2 Porridge 3 Rising Damp
80s 1 Rab C Nesbitt 2 The Young Ones 3 Yes Minister
90s 1 Alan Partridge 2 Father Ted 3 Bottom
oos 1 The Office 2 Still Game 3 Black Books

Quote: Leevil @ November 10 2009, 5:46 PM GMT

Cool, uncovered any gems yet?

Some rather interesting sounding stuff actually. Pity none of it exists.

Quote: Moonstone @ November 10 2009, 8:06 PM GMT

Really? I've never even seen this, is it that good?

No.

Quote: James Cotter @ November 10 2009, 7:15 PM GMT

90s - Red Dwarf

FAIL! (Started in 1988.)

So pleased to see The Lad 'imself getting a mention !

:)

More than a few mentions at that! :)

Looking at the lists with Hancock in them, it just reminds me how strongly those programmes sit alongside shows from all the other decades. So much of what Tony, Ray & Alan did in the 60s (and 50s) informed so many of the best comedies Britain has produced. :)

Quote: Moonstone @ November 10 2009, 5:01 PM GMT

Brilliant, but better than RD?? Surely not!

Adder is clearly superior. No real contest there. I liked Red Dwarf up till series 6, and especially so between series 2 and 4. It might make my all-time 20 and was a very good sitcom in its day, but still a big mismatch this nonetheless (Rimmer is up there with the very best in terms of sitcom characters, though. Barrie did a brilliant job there).

Quote: Roodeye @ November 10 2009, 8:36 PM GMT

90s Father Ted
00s The Office

Very good shouts here.

The Young Ones for pure groundbreaking influence and as a top comedy product of its time would rank amongst the 'next best' of the 1980s. It was simply a massive breath of fresh air at the time and a fantastic sitcom (clearly more legendary status wise than Bottom). Vyvyan the best character for me. Laughing out loud

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 11 2009, 1:24 AM GMT

Looking at the lists with Hancock in them, it just reminds me how strongly those programmes sit alongside shows from all the other decades. So much of what Tony, Ray & Alan did in the 60s (and 50s) informed so many of the best comedies Britain has produced. :)

Interesting that with shows like Miranda there seems to be a return to the big silly comedy of Hancock's Half-Hour. A trend to be encouraged in my view.

I think Hancock's half hour was far more sophiscticated than Miranda. I know quite a few of the episodes had moments of silliness however this was quite early days for British sitcom and if it was written today those moments wouldn't be in it, overall it had brilliant depth and subtelty.

The best sitcom of the 00s I have realised is Human Remains, I know people say it's not a sitcom but that is bollocks.

The last episode of HHH I listened to on the radio had Hattie Jacques fighting for the world all-in wrestling crown...

Quote: Aaron @ November 10 2009, 11:24 PM GMT

FAIL! (Started in 1988.)

Yet ran for nine years in the 90s.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 11 2009, 10:42 AM GMT

I think Hancock's half hour was far more sophiscticated than Miranda.

We've only got one episode of Miranda to go on thus far. Let's not jump the gun.

The best sitcom of the 00s I have realised is Human Remains, I know people say it's not a sitcom but that is bollocks.

No it's not. The characters in it were all one off and never popped up again.

Quote: James Cotter @ November 11 2009, 11:13 AM GMT

And it was only really successful in the nineties.

Quote: chipolata @ November 11 2009, 11:15 AM GMT

No it's not. The characters in it were all one off and never popped up again.

Yes, but there was a shared theme for each episode and I look at it as six perfect sitcom pilots so in a way it was the best six sitcoms of the 00s.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 11 2009, 11:18 AM GMT

Yes, but there was a shared theme for each episode

:O That's the loosest definition of a sitcom I've ever heard!

I think Hancock's half hour was far more sophiscticated than Miranda. I know quite a few of the episodes had moments of silliness however this was quite early days for British sitcom and if it was written today those moments wouldn't be in it, overall it had brilliant depth and subtelty.

And that's exactly what's wrong with sitcom today.

Quote: James Cotter @ November 11 2009, 11:13 AM GMT

You still fail. The OP:

Quote: Moonstone @ November 10 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

What do you think were/are the best sitcoms from each decade, from the 70s to today?
I know some spanned more than one decade, but just for the sake of argument say from when they first aired.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 11 2009, 11:18 AM GMT

Yes, but there was a shared theme for each episode and I look at it as six perfect sitcom pilots so in a way it was the best six sitcoms of the 00s.

Many would consider them to be comedy playlets rather than sitcoms. Especially as they weren't, AFAIK, actually pilots. Just single stories.